Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Where did you NIP for the first time?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 65 Replies
6 moms liked this
A couple of post for me thinking about the first time I nursed in public.

It was a weekday night at a chic-FIL-a. It was also one of our first family outings, with all 5 of us. My DS was about 10 days old.
Ya know how chic-FIL-a has that reputation for being family friendly? Well this experience went beyond their normal rep.

Not only did someone hold open the door as my husband and I tried to hurdle our three musketeers inside, but they also brought us a menu. We had service as if we were dinning at a sit down restaurant!

I had just finished eating when my littlest man got hungry. I was so nervous, but I knew he had to eat. I did use a cover. Right after I got him latched, my DH whispered to me "you're doing great Hun." Boy, do I love this man!!

Not long after that, an employee started walking over. My heart started pounding. Surely they wouldn't say something...

But then the young man just asked me if I wanted something else to drink. I told him I would love some more lemonade. When he brought it back, he told me that his mom always got really thirsty while breastfeeding his little sister.

It was an overall great experience!

The first time I nursed without a cover.... Well that was a different story!

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trista4
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I am so iffy about it. I have never seen someone feed in public in this town. I just excuse myself and sit in the car no cover needed. My husband tells me all the time if someone is going to say something about feeding our child he would have some choice words for them.. he tells me not to go to the car and feed baby at the table and finish my meal....I still haven't done it :-/ I'm a wimp
carranzasfaith
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:57 PM
My first time was at a pizza hurt and I was so scared I even asked my mom if they could kick us out lol I used a cover and the poor waiter could not look at me and he turned beet red lol
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM

New parent class at the hospital after Nathan was born.  It was the IBCLC, one couple (left baby with the nursery), another couple (left baby with nursery), and me and Nathan (perma-tached to my boob).  After that the first "real" public time was when he was about 3 weeks old and we met my dh and his friends for their usual Friday work lunch.  I put a cover on, put my shield on (UGH!!) and then latched Nathan on.  Once we were able to ditch the shield and the cover, it all went much more smoothly.

Our playgroup likes to hit chic-fil-a for the kids to play while we talk and eat.  There have been times when 4 of us had babies nursing at the same time and the nice employees brought us refills and extra napkins... anything we needed. :)

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM
it was at an IHOP. I was sitting next to an awful old man who was being so rude to his waitress (i mean straigh up butt hole). I was so nervous the old man would say something but he didn't. nobody even looked.... it was empowering!
Analugojana
by Christine on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM

In a hospital waiting room. Didn't use a cover, not even the 2 shirt method. I just lifted my top,whipped the boob out and latched her on. Nobody even blinked. But most people there showed some body part and the atmosphere was such that nobody cared about a boob.

Havenโ€™t done it in a more "regular" environment.

Debbieplus1
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Babies r us, she was just a few days old :-)
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:29 PM

That was really sweet of the employee.

I was at applebees with my grandparents, nothing unusual at all happened. It was great :)

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM
The park by the house. It was windy and my husband got all cover happy. A year later and now I never have a small blanket with me, so he just tells me to cover up. I tell him I'm covered up just fine and he gets all irritated for the three minutes the kid spends nursing before he gets distracted. I was nervous the first time, but nursing went great. So great he pooped and I had to change a poopy diaper at a park on a windy early spring day in a stroller with a newborn. That was difficult.
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM
I honestly can't remember the first time it was so long ago! My "baby" will be 14 next month. My youngest still nurses in public frequently at 17 months.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Church.  We hadn't even been out of the house before that.  He was 4 weeks old.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)