Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

allergies

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:05 AM
  • 14 Replies
What can I take for my allergies. My allergies have flared up so bad my face hurts my nose wont quit running I'm sneezing and my eyes have started to swell all from damn dust ugh. I can't take benedryll because I'm allergic so is there anything else I can take I'm miserable
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM

claritin, zyrtec, allegra

kss12
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM
This but with D for decongestion

Quoting K8wizzo:

poeticrose09
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Ans it wont pass to my son.

Quoting kss12:

Quoting K8wizzo:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM

The -D versions have been found to cause decreased milk supply in some women, so we don't usually recommend them unless they are truly needed.

Quoting kss12:

Quoting K8wizzo:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

A very small amount of the drug will pass into your milk.  Studies have shown no adverse reactions in infants.  Thus, they are considered to be safe for breastfeeding mothers.

Quoting poeticrose09:

Ans it wont pass to my son.

Quoting kss12:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Clemency3
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM

While I am not sure about the medications listed..read over some..i know allegra has not been proven safe for pregnancy yet but was told during pregnancy you could do claritin or zyrtec..so I would think they are safe while breast feeding. however allegra is safe for children as my 5 year old daughter takes it..so who knows on that one. 

aside from that..what helps me..if you are capable of doing this, periodically throughout the day get a wash cloth and make it borderline too hot and hot. then set it over your face..breath in a couple times and repeat like 3-4 times. I do this in one day about 3 different times during the day and by the next day I am feeling so much better...

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM
What did you take before you were breastfeeding? If it wasn't listed above we can look it up. You may be able to do what you used to do.
poeticrose09
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I used to take chlorotrimeton. Idk if that's how you spell it. I love it it normally works and its cheap lmao.

Quoting IrishIz:

What did you take before you were breastfeeding? If it wasn't listed above we can look it up. You may be able to do what you used to do.

poeticrose09
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM
I do that too but its so bad that it hasn't helped. I.also have a lavender and ricebpack for the microwave that I use and it hasn't helped yet either

Quoting Clemency3:

While I am not sure about the medications listed..read over some..i know allegra has not been proven safe for pregnancy yet but was told during pregnancy you could do claritin or zyrtec..so I would think they are safe while breast feeding. however allegra is safe for children as my 5 year old daughter takes it..so who knows on that one. 

aside from that..what helps me..if you are capable of doing this, periodically throughout the day get a wash cloth and make it borderline too hot and hot. then set it over your face..breath in a couple times and repeat like 3-4 times. I do this in one day about 3 different times during the day and by the next day I am feeling so much better...

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Summary of Use during Lactation: 
Small (2 to 4 mg), occasional doses of chlorpheniramine are acceptable during breastfeeding. Larger doses or more prolonged use might cause effects in the infant or decrease the milk supply, particularly in combination with a sympathomimetic such as pseudoephedrine or before lactation is well established. Single bedtime doses after the last feeding of the day may be adequate for many women and will minimize any effects of the drug. The nonsedating antihistamines are preferred alternatives, though.

Drug Levels: 
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date. 

Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Effects in Breastfed Infants: 
In one telephone follow-up study, mothers reported irritability and colicky symptoms in 10% of infants exposed to various antihistamines and drowsiness was reported in 1.6% of infants. None of the reactions required medical attention. In this study, no side effects were reported among 5 infants exposed to chlorpheniramine in breastmilk.[1]

Possible Effects on Lactation: 
Dexchlorpheniramine in relatively high doses given by injection can decrease basal serum prolactin in nonlactating women and in early postpartum women.[2][3] However, suckling-induced prolactin secretion is not affected by dexchlorpheniramine pretreatment of postpartum mothers.[2] Whether lower oral doses of chlorpheniramine have the same effect on serum prolactin or whether the effects on prolactin have any consequences on breastfeeding success have not been studied.

Alternate Drugs to Consider: 
DesloratadineFexofenadineLoratadine

References: 
1. Ito S, Blajchman A, Stephenson M et al. Prospective follow-up of adverse reactions in breast-fed infants exposed to maternal medication. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993;168:1393-9. PMID: 8498418 
2. Messinis IE, Souvatzoglou A, Fais N et al. Histamine H1 receptor participation in the control of prolactin secretion in postpartum. J Endocrinol Invest. 1985;8:143-6. PMID: 3928731 
3. Pontiroli AE, De Castro e Silva E, Mazzoleni F et al. The effect of histamine and H1 and H2 receptors on prolactin and luteinizing hormone release in humans: sex differences and the role of stress. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1981;52:924-8. PMID: 7228996 

Substance Identification:

Substance Name: Chlorpheniramine

CAS Registry Number: 132-22-9

Drug Class: 
Antihistamines

Administrative Information:

LactMed Record Number: 

Last Revision Date: 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)