Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I think I want to become a IBCLC

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 26 Replies
2 moms liked this
Last night I helped a young girl get started with breast feeding and it was SOO rewarding. Although last night was my first time with someone one on one, I have been to several breast feeding peer group meetings and other support groups. I am always very active in the meetings and sometimes lead them.

I enjoy helping educate people on breast feeding. I firmly believe knowledge is powering any situation. I love empowering women.

At one time I wanted to become a nurse, but decided it wasn't for me and took a completely different career path.

After pondering with the idea of starting a new career for a while, I decided to go back to school. For a while I considered teaching, but now I'm thinking maybe I should become a lactation consultant.

Today I talked to a good friend who recently just started an IBCLC program. She recommended the school she is attending because they have a great online program and set up all of your clinically and even register you for the IBCLC exam.

I called their enrollment coordinator and I am very impressed. I was also pleased to find out that most of my credits will transfer so I have most of my general education requirements covered.

The program will give me a Bacherlor's degree in Matneral Child Health.

I could start this summer, but I think I am going to wait until fall. We have a very busy summer planned, and I think it will be easier to start once my oldest DS starts school this fall.

Now I guess the only issue is telling my family without them thinking I'm a nut job!
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Devious333
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Don't you have to go through nursing school to do that? I would like to do it too, but I don't want to go through a crap ton more school..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I've thought about it...
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Nope.

While a lot of woman do become RNs first, you dont have to.

You do have to complete a lot of classes similar to that of a nursing degree and you also have to complete clinicals before taking the exam, you don't HAVE to be a nurse.

I assume that a lot of woman choose to go ahead and become an RN for multi purpose reasons.

The school I will be attending has a program specifically for those wanting to become IBCLCs

Quoting Devious333:

Don't you have to go through nursing school to do that? I would like to do it too, but I don't want to go through a crap ton more school..

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Would your family be supportive or think you are nuts?

I told both of my sisters today, and while they didn't say anything negative, they didn't jump for joy either.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I've thought about it...

Devious333
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Oh. Well that's neat. Maybe someday, I'm working on a health/communication degree currently. If I ever decide to go back to school, maybe I'll consider that. I would love to help women with breastfeeding.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Nope.

You do have to complete a lot of classes similar to that of a nursing degree and you also have to complete clinicals before taking the exam, you don't HAVE to be a nurse.

I assume that a lot of woman choose to go ahead and become an RN for multi purpose reasons.

The school I will be attending has a program specifically for those wanting to become IBCLCs

Quoting Devious333:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Just curious, what can you do with a health communication degree?

Quoting Devious333:

Oh. Well that's neat. Maybe someday, I'm working on a health/communication degree currently. If I ever decide to go back to school, maybe I'll consider that. I would love to help women with breastfeeding.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Nope.

Quoting Devious333:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM
They think I'm nuts for just breast feeding. In the beginning I got the whole round of "your milk isn't good enough" "you need to start cereal" "one bottle of formula while he spends the night won't hurt". Now that we are nearing the one year mark everything has started back up. My husband would be very supportive though!

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Would your family be supportive or think you are nuts?

I told both of my sisters today, and while they didn't say anything negative, they didn't jump for joy either.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I've thought about it...

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I am going to be an ibclc as well! I'm going to get an RN degree first though as I don't have any transferable credits.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Btw, I think it's a great d├ęcision!
Devious333
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I was mobile so I didn't want to type it out lol but it's a Health Administration and Communication degree. There are all kinds of things I can do with it. When looking at jobs through the job service site, I saw a job with Health and Human Services that required a communication degree or similar. I can do human resource type jobs, which is something I wouldn't mind doing. A lot of them are more management/administrator type positions with the health degree. It's not exactly the degree I wanted but it opens a lot of doors and it's better than not having one lol. I was originally going to school to teach high school English, but I moved and being 2 hours away from a university makes going to school difficult. So I settled with this degree because I can do it online.
Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Just curious, what can you do with a health communication degree?

Quoting Devious333:

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Nope.

Quoting Devious333:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN