Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

New to the group! Having trouble getting baby to gain weight.

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM
  • 22 Replies
My name is Marilyn, I'm 27, and the mom of 3 girls. Maya is 7, Aliya is 5, and our newest addition Zaariya is 3 weeks old today. She was born at home and was a vba2c.

At birth she was 8 lbs 7 oz, at 2 days she was 8 lbs 1 oz, at 4 days she was 8 lbs, at 2 weeks she was 8 lbs, at 2 weeks 5 days she was 8 lbs, and today she was 8 lbs.

She nurses on demand, I don't watch the clock. I let her nurse as long as she wants to, even comfort nurse. She doesn't come off the breast until she pops off herself. Because she's constantly nursing, I am having a really hard time figuring out why she's not gaining. I discussed it with my midwife on Tuesday and she suggested block feeding as well as some changes to my diet which I've done ever since. Today I spoke to the WIC LC and she wants me to pump after each nursing sessions and feed it to baby, to supplement with my own breastmilk.

Baby has grown in length and is doing great otherwise. One thing I've noticed is she NEVER spits up. It's strange to me because my older two were breastfed and they spit up all the time, not huge amounts but still did. Baby is peeing and pooping more than what is said to be an adequate amount each day, it's yellow and seedy.

I'm just worried and trying desperately to figure out what the problem could be. Why on earth isn't she gaining?
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Diaper count?  Were there any fluids during labor?  Same scale, same situation, time of day, etc?  

MandaMommyof2
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Bump.        I'm having the same issue my son was born April 3 at 8lb 1oz. His last appt he was 8lb 2oz 

maliya0608
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:56 PM
About 8-10 in a 24 hour period and almost all of them are dirty as well.

When you say fluids during labor, do you mean as far as me drinking fluids while in labor? If so, yes.

The baby was weighed 3 times with the midwife's scale and 3 times with the pediatrician's scale.

Quoting preacherskid:

Diaper count?  Were there any fluids during labor?  Same scale, same situation, time of day, etc?  

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Has she been checked for lip and tongue ties?

stayinhomemommy
by Heather on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Here's a bump, my dd is having trouble gaining too. 

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM

That's actually perfect! Nothing to worry about there.

Quoting MandaMommyof2:

Bump.        I'm having the same issue my son was born April 3 at 8lb 1oz. His last appt he was 8lb 2oz 

maliya0608
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM
My midwife just checked her for it this past Wednesday at my 2 wk pp. She said baby shows no signs of tongue or lip tie but she can do a more thorough evaluation if necessary. I'm still partially tongue tied so it was one of my concerns initially when we had latch issues.

Quoting jjchick75:

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM

That would be my first step. That's the first thing that comes to mind for me when I hear of a baby not gaining. 

Quoting maliya0608:

My midwife just checked her for it this past Wednesday at my 2 wk pp. She said baby shows no signs of tongue or lip tie but she can do a more thorough evaluation if necessary. I'm still partially tongue tied so it was one of my concerns initially when we had latch issues.

Quoting jjchick75:

asaffell
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Which weights were taken on which scales?

maliya0608
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM
I will look into it again, thanks!

Quoting jjchick75:

That would be my first step. That's the first thing that comes to mind for me when I hear of a baby not gaining. 

Quoting maliya0608:

Quoting jjchick75:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN