Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Milk Goes Bad Too Fast!

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • 19 Replies
My ebf DS is 8 mo. He went to daycare at 4 mo and had been taking bottles fine. In fact, he sucked down any amt of milk they offered him. 4 weeks ago he started refusing bottles at daycare. He has gotten better, but I noticed he is more apt to refuse on Mondays. I noticed that my milk starts to smell off after even 24 hrs. What can I do? For background, DS is my 4th child. My milk always tasted soapy after a few days in the fridge (well before the charts say it should be "bad") so I always scalded the milk I pumped on Fridays and froze it to feed on Mondays. If I froze without scalding, it smelled soapy immediately after thawing. So, now I don't know what to do with the expressed milk on Fridays and how to get milk for bottles on Monday if I want to nurse on the weekends. I don't think my diet has changed in the past few weeks. What could make my milk go bad quickly? Thoughts?
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Are you freezing it or just leaving it refrigerated?
Brenda476
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I have tried both fridge or freezer, scalding and not. Smells bad after 24 hrs regardless. 

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Oh dear. Hopefully another momma can help!

Quoting Brenda476:

I have tried both fridge or freezer, scalding and not. Smells bad after 24 hrs regardless. 

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Pump what you need for Monday on Sun. . . . I always had the most success with pumping on one side while baby was nursing from the other - maybe try that to help you get enough.

GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:34 AM

If it's "soapy" tasting, you likely have higher lipase in your milk than other mamas.  Me too!  It doesn't affect the quality of your milk, but certainly the taste.

My LO never refused my milk, but I did notice that it was much worse tasting after it thawed than if it was milk that had never been frozen.

I never scalded it, as that kills all the good beasties living in the milk...

I gave my frozen milk to a mama who had a baby with a GI tube, so the baby didn't need to "taste" the milk...

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Have you started taking fish oil supplements or eating a greater quantity of fatty fish or maybe something else oily along those lines?  Some studies have found a link between that and lipase issues.  I would scald and pump on Sunday for Monday feedings.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM
It's lipase. Scald it on Friday and leave it in the fridge until Monday. No need to freeze it between, just need to.scald before the lipase digests too much of the.fat.
legobaby
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I had the same problem and was told high lipase. Scalding didn't help, though, so now I don't know what the deal is going to be with my next baby. Does lipase change with each different baby? Hopefully it just won't be an issue next time since I never solved the problem.
GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Quoting legobaby:

I had the same problem and was told high lipase. Scalding didn't help, though, so now I don't know what the deal is going to be with my next baby. Does lipase change with each different baby? Hopefully it just won't be an issue next time since I never solved the problem.

I had/have high lipase with both my children... 

And it's really NOT a problem.  It is what it is--just another variation of "normal."

christababy
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:04 AM
I also have high lipase. I scalded and froze mine without any problems. What process are you using to scald your milk?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN