Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
My ebf DS is 8 mo. He went to daycare at 4 mo and had been taking bottles fine. In fact, he sucked down any amt of milk they offered him. 4 weeks ago he started refusing bottles at daycare. He has gotten better, but I noticed he is more apt to refuse on Mondays. I noticed that my milk starts to smell off after even 24 hrs. What can I do? For background, DS is my 4th child. My milk always tasted soapy after a few days in the fridge (well before the charts say it should be "bad") so I always scalded the milk I pumped on Fridays and froze it to feed on Mondays. If I froze without scalding, it smelled soapy immediately after thawing. So, now I don't know what to do with the expressed milk on Fridays and how to get milk for bottles on Monday if I want to nurse on the weekends. I don't think my diet has changed in the past few weeks. What could make my milk go bad quickly? Thoughts?
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Replies (11-19):
Brenda476
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM

No supplements - just maybe more desserts than normal due to excess baking, Easter & a few birthdays!

Quoting K8wizzo:

Have you started taking fish oil supplements or eating a greater quantity of fatty fish or maybe something else oily along those lines?  Some studies have found a link between that and lipase issues.  I would scald and pump on Sunday for Monday feedings.

Brenda476
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I take the milk from Friday (2 feedings worth) out of the fridge on Saturday morning, put into a small saucepan and heat on the stove until there are bubbles around the edges, but before the whole pot is simmering. I pour it into a measuring cup which is sitting in an ice bath. When cool, I pour into bottles if putting in the fridge or Lansinoh bags if for the freezer.

Quoting christababy:

I also have high lipase. I scalded and froze mine without any problems. What process are you using to scald your milk?

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Even if you're freezing it, it needs scalded. But, there's no need to freeze the milk on Friday that your son will be eating on Monday. Just scald it and leave it in the refrigerator. I had to scald my milk every single time I pumped, which was for 9 long months. As long as you don't bring it to a full boil, not all the antibiotic properties will be destroyed. My daughter absolutely would not drink it with it tasting soapy so I had to choose whether to give her scalded milk or formula. It was a pain to have to scald all my milk but it was worth it to not have to use formula.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I also want to add that it's not that your milk has "gone bad". It's actually perfectly fine if baby will drink it. It's just an excess of the enzyme lipase in your milk which starts to break down the fat almost immediately after it's expressed. When the fat breaks down, it makes a soapy taste. So, scalding the milk inhibits the lipase from breaking down the fat.
legobaby
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Well, I don't know if the milk was a little off with my first. I suspect that it was, but he drank it anyway. My second would never drink it once she was about 4-5 months old.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting legobaby:

I had the same problem and was told high lipase. Scalding didn't help, though, so now I don't know what the deal is going to be with my next baby. Does lipase change with each different baby? Hopefully it just won't be an issue next time since I never solved the problem.

I had/have high lipase with both my children... 

And it's really NOT a problem.  It is what it is--just another variation of "normal."

christababy
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Try scalding the milk right after pumping rather than waiting.

Quoting Brenda476:

I take the milk from Friday (2 feedings worth) out of the fridge on Saturday morning, put into a small saucepan and heat on the stove until there are bubbles around the edges, but before the whole pot is simmering. I pour it into a measuring cup which is sitting in an ice bath. When cool, I pour into bottles if putting in the fridge or Lansinoh bags if for the freezer.

Quoting christababy:

I also have high lipase. I scalded and froze mine without any problems. What process are you using to scald your milk?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM
How many hours are you away from work? Maybe try reverse cycling?

Can you feed baby while on your lunch break?

ILoveMyFam
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Quoting christababy:

Try scalding the milk right after pumping rather than waiting.

Quoting Brenda476:

Quoting christababy:

This - you have to scald it straight after being expressed, then freeze/refridgerate for later use.

Mitzi31
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM

That's what happens to my milk when freezing it too. Everytime and dd doesn't like it. I EBF and only have frozen milk for a "justincase" scenerio but I've been using it to mix in some of her food sometimes. I don't blame her for drinking it cause it smells and taste nasty to me lol. At first I thought it was just my milk until I learned about lipase.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

If it's "soapy" tasting, you likely have higher lipase in your milk than other mamas.  Me too!  It doesn't affect the quality of your milk, but certainly the taste.

My LO never refused my milk, but I did notice that it was much worse tasting after it thawed than if it was milk that had never been frozen.

I never scalded it, as that kills all the good beasties living in the milk...

I gave my frozen milk to a mama who had a baby with a GI tube, so the baby didn't need to "taste" the milk...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)