Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can you over feed an EBF baby?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM
  • 11 Replies
DD is just over 3 weeks old. Idk why I have so many concerns this time around! I've done this twice before.

She just spit up thick white milk--a lot. My last was a spitter, but it was always thin & more clear.

I also feel like she's gaining super fast. Her lowest was 6#11oz & at 3 weeks she was 7#15.7oz.

She's typically not fussy, but she was before she just spit up like that. I thought she just wanted to nurse for comfort to help her get to sleep. Now I feel like I'm over feeding her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GaleJ
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Babies are all different as is your milk for them. Unless this becomes part of a pattern I wouldn't be very concerned. Babies with uncomfortable tummies sometimes just need to get rid of what's bothering them, it doesn't usually mean much. 

As to overfeeding an exclusively breastfed baby, I don't think that's possible unless something is wrong and I don't think that is the case. I would just say that you should just be watchful and see how your daughter reacts over the next few feedings.  

GE1
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM

DS spat up a lot after a feeding because he had reflux issues. After every feeding I held him more at an upright position for 30 minutes.

Babies grow at their own rate and she will continue to grow pretty quickly. You cannot overfeed an EBF baby. It does sound like she is going through a growth spurt though

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Only if you have an oversupply and/or overactive letdown. That was the case with me, DS averaged a lb a week for the 1st month!!!
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:51 AM
You can not over feed a EBF baby. If bm or formula is given by a bottle, then yes you can.
Do you have oversupply and/or overactive letdown?
Your baby has gained 1 lb 4 oz in 3 weeks. That's a little much, but not something to freak out about. Baby's gain in spurts. It sounds like, with the spitup, that you may have OS and oal.
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I think both are a possibility & I've read "suggestions" on how to fix it & there really isn't much. I've tried feeding her on one side only.

Quoting Junebaby18:

You can not over feed a EBF baby. If bm or formula is given by a bottle, then yes you can.

Your baby has gained 1 lb 4 oz in 3 weeks. That's a little much, but not something to freak out about. Baby's gain in spurts. It sounds like, with the spitup, that you may have OS and oal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lorsmommy08
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM

read up on overactive/forceful letdown for sure! When they're younger, I have to do a daytime side to feed off of and a night time side until mine calms down.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Quoting lillybug222:

Have you gone to kellymom.com and read anything there?
Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM
There are plenty of successful ways to fix an oversupply and an OAL problem. :)

Quoting lillybug222:

I think both are a possibility & I've read "suggestions" on how to fix it & there really isn't much. I've tried feeding her on one side only.

Quoting Junebaby18:

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I've read everything I can find & it doesn't really seem like it. I've been trying block feeding. Nursing on an incline isn't practical or easy -- especially with the size of my boobs.

Quoting Ptitchou:

Quoting lillybug222:

Quoting Junebaby18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM
It's not an overnight fix. I've been block feeding for 4 months. It's progressively gotten AMAZINGLY better. But you have to be willing to stick with it. In the scope of breastfeeding problems, this is an easily solved one. And it solves many common infant issues----gas, spit up, "colic," etc.

And I side lie to nurse when I can. You can unlatch during letdown and letdown into a towel.

Quoting lillybug222:

I've read everything I can find & it doesn't really seem like it. I've been trying block feeding. Nursing on an incline isn't practical or easy -- especially with the size of my boobs.

Quoting Ptitchou:

Quoting lillybug222:

Quoting Junebaby18:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)