Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can you over feed an EBF baby?

Posted by   + Show Post
DD is just over 3 weeks old. Idk why I have so many concerns this time around! I've done this twice before.

She just spit up thick white milk--a lot. My last was a spitter, but it was always thin & more clear.

I also feel like she's gaining super fast. Her lowest was 6#11oz & at 3 weeks she was 7#15.7oz.

She's typically not fussy, but she was before she just spit up like that. I thought she just wanted to nurse for comfort to help her get to sleep. Now I feel like I'm over feeding her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Replies (11-11):
OhMyBob
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Yes, you CAN overfeed your baby when you EBF if you produce a lot of milk. I did that with my son. We didn't quite get the breastfeeding thing at first, but when we did we both took to it with some excitement. A few days later he'd start throwing up within fifteen minutes of eating then crying five minutes later as if he were hungry. I called the nurse, thinking he was sick, and she told me to skip one feeding and to see how he did after that. She called back to check in a while later and explained that he was just overeating, and I just had to be sure to keep an eye out for it in the future.k

EDIT: I did have an oversupply, and instead of doing things to curb it, I actually exploited it by pumping and stocking up for those times when I'd be out of the house and DH would have to care for him without me around. When I started working again it was a lot easier mentally because I never had to worry if the food would run out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN