Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm drying up :(

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM
  • 16 Replies

Evie is almost 8 months old, this is the longest I've ever pumped.  Even with being on dom 40 mg 4x/day and pumping every three hours, I'm drying up :(  My nipples are in constant vasospasm, it hurts to nurse, it takes FOREVER to pump anything.  Evie nurses all night long and I can't pump then.  I tried and it didn't make a difference, plus I was getting very very sick from lack of sleep.  I can't eat oats (no gluten) or do fenugreek, blessed thistle did nothing for me.  Is it hopeless?  We're going through donor milk quickly and there's not enough donors here

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gumeshoe
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I have vapospasms off  and on and mostly it doesn't bother me. But I read somewhere that magnesium and calcuim can help. I also heard on Dr Oz those worked for getting better sleep. So I had some around the house and figured it couldn't hurt. So I take it about 2 or 3 times a week. I have always had random pointers regardless of how cold it was, just now with nursing it occasionally hurts. But this seems to do the trick for us.

I googled and here is the 1st thing I can find that mentions it as one of the options # 7. http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/raynaud.shtml

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I heard that too.

I know this may not help, but maybe for otherz who read this, placenta capsules help build supply.

Quoting gumeshoe:

I have vapospasms off  and on and mostly it doesn't bother me. But I read somewhere that magnesium and calcuim can help. I also heard on Dr Oz those worked for getting better sleep. So I had some around the house and figured it couldn't hurt. So I take it about 2 or 3 times a week. I have always had random pointers regardless of how cold it was, just now with nursing it occasionally hurts. But this seems to do the trick for us.

I googled and here is the 1st thing I can find that mentions it as one of the options # 7. http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/raynaud.shtml

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:04 AM

There are gluten-free oats.  Bob's Red Mill makes one.  Steel-cut oats.  Also, the gluten that IS in oats, isn't the same as what you'd find in wheat.  IDK why you're avoiding the gluten though.  If it's Celiac's, then if might not matter that it's a different gluten. 

fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I have found gluten free oats:)  Bob's Red Mill brand if that helps you at all. Try magnesium and calcium as a PP mentioned to help with the vapospasms.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Bob's Red Mill and some others have gf oats that are safe.  

For the vasospasms, try B6, cal/mag, and ibuprofen if you can take it.

((hugs)) You have done an amazing job, Anna, regardless of the outcome here.  You are truly an inspiration and Pippi and Evie are so blessed to have you as their mommy!!

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM
How much are you pumping each session? How much water/fluids are you drinking per day? Are you taking in enough calories?
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:37 AM
I already take a mag/cal supplement :) It's from the "trauma" of pumping, I don't get them otherwise! I also have no trouble sleeping, but a certain baby is a HORRIBLE sleeper *sigh*

Quoting gumeshoe:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:42 AM
I love my steel cut oats, but I'm not quite ready to try them yet. Too afraid of the consequences lol. It affects my health something terrible!

Quoting jackiewal10:

There are gluten-free oats.  Bob's Red Mill makes one.  Steel-cut oats.  Also, the gluten that IS in oats, isn't the same as what you'd find in wheat.  IDK why you're avoiding the gluten though.  If it's Celiac's, then if might not matter that it's a different gluten. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Thanks. I'm just really discouraged right now and having a hard time making this decision :(

Quoting K8wizzo:

Bob's Red Mill and some others have gf oats that are safe.  

For the vasospasms, try B6, cal/mag, and ibuprofen if you can take it.

((hugs)) You have done an amazing job, Anna, regardless of the outcome here.  You are truly an inspiration and Pippi and Evie are so blessed to have you as their mommy!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:47 AM
I pump up to 40 minutes a side or 5 minutes after the milk stops flowing, getting about 2-4 oz (I know it's "above average," but it's not enough). I drink half my weight in oz minimum and eat well, it's very important for my other health issues

Quoting Junebaby18:

How much are you pumping each session? How much water/fluids are you drinking per day? Are you taking in enough calories?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN