Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need advice on a pump

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 9 Replies
I called my insurance provider yesterday and found out they cover the cost of a breast pump at 100% up to $200. After that I have to pay. All pumps must be bought from a medical supply store, but I can choose which pump I want so long as I wait until 1 month before baby is due. Well $200 is a significant amount of money off the cost of a pump, so I'm going to do it, now the question is, which one to get. I've been reading a lot of reviews and I think I want the avent double electric over the medela double electric, but wanted to hear your opinions if you have used a pump in the past. Which one worked best for you and why? My breasts were pretty big prior to pregnancy, and obviously have gotten bigger so ill need something that I can fit into as well. Any comments/suggestions/recommendations/opinions on pumps?
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LilMansMom105
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM

i LOVE my Medela pump-in-style. That being said I've never tried anything else so can't compare it. Everyone I know who've used it love it too.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
It's not really the size of the breast that matters. The horn, where you put your breast into, is a certain size. They have different size holes for different sized nipples. A bad fitting horn will hurt you and not be able to extract milk the way it should.

Are you going back to work?

There is a sticky at the top of the page on different types of breast pumps and what is good and what to stay away from.
shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM
I would go with an Ameda or even better a Hygiea Enjoye. I really wanted the Hygiea but my insurance only offered the Medela Pisa. The Hygiea has a 3 year warranty and also after that 3 years they can send you a box so you send it back and they recycle them so they don't fill up a landfill. Plus the Ameda and Hygiea are closed systems so you can always just sell them when your done. The Medelas are open so you don't have that option.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I'd go with either a Hygeia Enjoye (if you have the ability to go $100 over what your insurance will cover) or an Ameda Purely Yours if you want it to be completely covered.  Those are absolutely the top 2 personal use pumps on the market.  If your choice is between the Medela and the Avent only, go with the Avent--it's a closed system, medela is an open system.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM

The next step...call the local medical supply stores and see what pumps they offer.  You may not get to pick what you want from a long list of pumps...you may have a list of 2 pumps to decide between.

Also, it has been noted by some IBCLCs that the Medela pumps being given out at medical supply stores ARE NOT the same as those purchased through IBCLCs or at the average store!  There were some recent checks done and you aren't always getting exactly what you think you are getting.

shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM
They aren't. My old Pisa (about 3 years old) works alot better than the one my insurance covered. :(
My old one I turn up maybe 2 clicks, the insurance one I have to max out for the same suction.

Quoting IrishIz:

The next step...call the local medical supply stores and see what pumps they offer.  You may not get to pick what you want from a long list of pumps...you may have a list of 2 pumps to decide between.

Also, it has been noted by some IBCLCs that the Medela pumps being given out at medical supply stores ARE NOT the same as those purchased through IBCLCs or at the average store!  There were some recent checks done and you aren't always getting exactly what you think you are getting.

LHummel
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I got an $80 pump from target and it worked great for me. The First Years MiPump. I loved the flexible breast shields, the handle it came with to one handed pump both sides, its small size, that it came with a bag. Things a lot of other brands may have too. 

MamaDee83
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Medela pump in style all the way!! I've had mine for over 5 years now and am using it with my 18 month old DD when I need to. Never had any issues with it, you can even get an adaptor so that it will plug into your car and you can pump on the go!
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Ameda PUrely Yours or Hygia Enjoye are my votes as well.  After talking with the ladies onthis board, and my IBCLCs, I would never recommend a Medela product to anyone.  There are much better pumps out there than Medela.  The whole open-system thing grosses me out (technically should only be used once, once mold gets in there you can't get it out!) I love my Ameda (came from my insurance).  

My IBCLCs are working on getting the hospitals in the area to only offer Hygia pumps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN