Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

New to BF....

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM
  • 5 Replies
So my son is 1 month today. He is my second child, but the first that I have BF. I have not pumped to offer a bottle at this point, and honestly I don't want to. I am a SAHM so no need to build a supply for going back to work or anything.

The only problem I have is I have not been able to overcome my shyness to NIP and how to deal with comments from people who want me to pump. Of course he is still very young so we have not been out much. The few times he has needed to nurse while we were out, I nursed him in the car because I feel comfortable to do it there.

What is worse are the comments I get from family of all things. For example, we were at DF's mothers house for his nieces bday party the other day when my little guy started to get fussy. Right away DF's mother blurted in front of everyone.... Well where's his bottle?? She knows very well I haven't pumped for bottles and is not happy about it. SHE wants to be able to feed him.

Even DF is making it hard. If he's holding him and he's fussy he'll give him back to me saying, I can't help him since I don't have a bottle. Or he has suggested we go out without the baby and I could just pump so we could leave the baby with his mother.

I have no desire to leave him yet period and I do not want to pump. Maybe I'm trying to hold on to it selfishly since I enjoy the time with him while I nurse. I don't know....

Have any of you maybe experienced something similar? I'm almost to the point of breaking down and pumping just to shut them up, but I know I will hate myself for it.

Thanks in advance for your help and support!!
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Stand your ground! In one ear and out the other! People can hold him, burp him, and change him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this
I've had 4 breastfed babies who never got a bottle. I wasn't in the habit of leaning them before they were 6 months old or so, at which point I could nurse before I ran out the door and be good for 4 hours or so. My dh's family wasn't thrilled and my FIL was flat out horrified to know I was even breastfeeding in another room with the door shut. They need to know if they can't stop making the comments to purposely try to embarrass you or criticize you then you'll be making yourself very, very scarce for the next year or two.

There's nothing selfish about wanting your baby to be breastfed. I actually think its one of the most selfless things a mother can do.
luna321
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM

NOT selfish at all! Stand your ground! I've learned to ignore the criticism, you know you are doing what is best for your baby and they are only little for such a short time (as you know from your first) this time will fly by so enjoy every second that you can!

lolly611
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Always remember no matter what you get from everyone around you MOM knows what is best for her baby. They seem to be wanting him to grow up to fast he will do that fast enough he is only a month old for goodness sake. It sounds like to me the ones  that are being selfish is the ones around you not you.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM

You can always count on family... to cut you to pieces. 

You get to do what YOU want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)