Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Getting frustrated. Help.

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM
  • 22 Replies

So my three month old has had thrush since she was two weeks off and on. We've nystatin but it always comes back. What can I do? She had it on her bum and now I think she's getting it in her underarm? Can that happen? I'm at a loss now. What should I not be eating? Could it be my diet? Help!

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Nystatin is rather notorious for not being all that helpful. I would get some genetian violet (available over the counter at many pharmacys) you could also try an anti-fungal cream like lotrim (?) on her bum and armpits.

Does she get any artificial nipples? If so are those being sterilized daily until its entirely gone? Have you been treating yourself AND her each time?

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Exactly what Melinda said. Yeast is becoming more and more resistant to prescription medications.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM
This is what i did. Probiotics, candex, no sugar, drank.lemon juice and raw garlic, rinsed with vinegar and air dried when i could. Thrush can.be stubborn.

For her, airdry her bum when you can, probiotics on there too. You can put some probiotics mixed with bm as a paste in her mouth as well. Gl
mama_l
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Don't forget to treat yourself as well. Plus ditto the above suggestions. Good luck mama!
treaH
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Thank you ladies. I'm gonna take probiotics and give the genetian violet a shot too. I hope it works. Thanks again.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM
I'm another cheerleader for gentian violet. I had nipples on fire and my dd's mouth, tongue and cheeks were coated white and the gv fixed us up in 4 days. My LC didn't even want me to waste my time w nystatin and sent me out the door with kellymom handouts and the instructions to find gv.
treaH
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:28 PM
How do you use it? And how do I know when her thrush is gone again? We just moved to a different state, so dh insurance wont cover us for another three months....so I can't really go in and ask if its gone or not...

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I'm another cheerleader for gentian violet. I had nipples on fire and my dd's mouth, tongue and cheeks were coated white and the gv fixed us up in 4 days. My LC didn't even want me to waste my time w nystatin and sent me out the door with kellymom handouts and the instructions to find gv.

treaH
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Also another question. If she has no "signs" in her mouth or me any pain etc...could she still get it on her body?
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:48 PM
My other dd got yeast rash in all of her skin folds, was completely specific to her skin, nothing else. We used nystatin powder for that one, though now I'd be more likely to try more natural treatments.

When my older dd had it in her mouth, that's where it started, then her upset gut and finally the raging butt rash.

Quoting treaH:

Also another question. If she has no "signs" in her mouth or me any pain etc...could she still get it on her body?
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Go to kellymom.com and search "thrush" and see the treatment protocol. If memory serves, I barely dipped a qtip in the gv and swabbed in her mouth, especially up in her cheeks and then painted my nipples. Some people just paint their nipples because, believe me, it gets in the baby's mouth (and then some) when nursing. I think it was twice a day.i used gynelotrimin on her diaper rash.

Quoting treaH:

How do you use it? And how do I know when her thrush is gone again? We just moved to a different state, so dh insurance wont cover us for another three months....so I can't really go in and ask if its gone or not...

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)