Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I crazy?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:26 AM
  • 64 Replies
2 moms liked this

Am I crazy to think that motherhood isn't that hard BUT we make it hard?  Dd is only 3 1/2 months old and I'm currently bfing, cloth diapering and bedsharing.  I had these visions of being frazzled insane and horrible but I've ended up being way more "go with the flow".  We have no schedule and I just feed her when she's hungry, change her when she's wet and cuddle when it's night.  I'm not stressing solids, her sleeping on her own or anything.  I see my friends and wonder why I'm not that worried?  Anyone else have the expectation of it being insanity and it not being that bad?  I figure she's saving her crazy for her teenage years : )

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:28 AM
If you're crazy, so am I, lol. :-)
SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Seriously.  If I have to tell one more person I'm not worried about X I may punch them : ) I'm just not a worrier apparently, which is hilarious because I normally worry (work, school, relationships).  I love the freedom of doing things "crunchy" since it seems like that equates into doing what feels right. My SIL had a baby two days before me and (even though its her third) is constantly emailing about whether X is normal, when am I doing Y etc.  

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Lol, I know exactly where you're coming from! I worked as an infant/toddler teacher until DS was 16 months (this past Dec.) All my co-workers and the parents I was closer with thought I was nutty for still BFing and co-sleeping, yet always came to me for advice on formula and getting their LO to STTN in their own rooms...smh. Lol.

Oh and I'm also, generally speaking, a "worry wart." :-)

Quoting SadieJames:Seriously.  If I have to tell one more person I'm not worried about X I may punch them : ) I'm just not a worrier apparently, which is hilarious because I normally worry (work, school, relationships).  I love the freedom of doing things "crunchy" since it seems like that equates into doing what feels right. My SIL had a baby two days before me and (even though its her third) is constantly emailing about whether X is normal, when am I doing Y etc.  Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:If you're crazy, so am I, lol. :-)
SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:46 AM
4 moms liked this

My 67 yo step dad is all "she needs her own room, give her a bottle, stop "squishing" her in those carriers" then turns around and says "she's the best baby I have ever seen. She never cries, it's amazing".  Um, I'm not stressed so she isn't?  She knows mama is there.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Lol, I know exactly where you're coming from! I worked as an infant/toddler teacher when until DS was 16 months (this past Dec.) All my co-workers and the parents I was closer with thought I was nutty for still BFing and co-sleeping, yet always came to me for advice on formula and getting their LO to STTN in their own rooms...smh. Lol.

Quoting SadieJames:

Seriously.  If I have to tell one more person I'm not worried about X I may punch them : ) I'm just not a worrier apparently, which is hilarious because I normally worry (work, school, relationships).  I love the freedom of doing things "crunchy" since it seems like that equates into doing what feels right. My SIL had a baby two days before me and (even though its her third) is constantly emailing about whether X is normal, when am I doing Y etc.  

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol, so funny and so true about how people react to natural and attachment parenting. My DS rarely cried and people have always commented on what a well-behaved baby/toddler he is....I think you and I both know why. Also I wore him and he started walking at 10.5 months and he's still alive and breathing, breathinf well, lol

Quoting SadieJames:

My 67 yo step dad is all "she needs her own room, give her a bottle, stop "squishing" her in those carriers" then turns around and says "she's the best baby I have ever seen. She never cries, it's amazing".  Um, I'm not stressed so she isn't?  She knows mama is there.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Lol, I know exactly where you're coming from! I worked as an infant/toddler teacher when until DS was 16 months (this past Dec.) All my co-workers and the parents I was closer with thought I was nutty for still BFing and co-sleeping, yet always came to me for advice on formula and getting their LO to STTN in their own rooms...smh. Lol.

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:54 AM
I know what parenting is like doing it both ways. My first was formula fed and wore disposables. I had trouble figuring out how big her bottles were supposed to be, she had trouble pooping, I couldn't get her to sleep in her bed, I was worried about milestones... With my son everything is so much less stressful because I'm just not nearly as worried. I don't have to be boiling water at three am because I fell asleep on the couch and forgot to pre make a bottle. I don't get stressed at bed time when I realize I only have a few diapers left, I just throw a load in or take some off the line. I wasn't worried about giving him orajel and Tylenol when he was cutting teeth because orajel is bad and Tylenol is a bit excessive when I can just nurse him to help him feel better. I don't worry about him sleeping through the night because he's in bed with me. If he wants to nurse he will, I don't have to think about it. My only dilemma now is I have to have a few things done by the time baby number three is born. I want him sttn in his own bed. I'm not even worried about that though, because I'm (hopefully) only a few weeks along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Thanks for the insight : ) 

I guess I just feel weird since its not what I expected.  I have always heard how bad the first year is because of whatever and with nursing, cloth diapering and bedsharing it's not bad.  Yes, I could use more uninterrupted sleep and yes, handing her a bottle in the car would be easier (I guess?) but I'm finding that doing whatever feels natural is also what is easiest!

Quoting polkaspots:

I know what parenting is like doing it both ways. My first was formula fed and wore disposables. I had trouble figuring out how big her bottles were supposed to be, she had trouble pooping, I couldn't get her to sleep in her bed, I was worried about milestones... With my son everything is so much less stressful because I'm just not nearly as worried. I don't have to be boiling water at three am because I fell asleep on the couch and forgot to pre make a bottle. I don't get stressed at bed time when I realize I only have a few diapers left, I just throw a load in or take some off the line. I wasn't worried about giving him orajel and Tylenol when he was cutting teeth because orajel is bad and Tylenol is a bit excessive when I can just nurse him to help him feel better. I don't worry about him sleeping through the night because he's in bed with me. If he wants to nurse he will, I don't have to think about it. My only dilemma now is I have to have a few things done by the time baby number three is born. I want him sttn in his own bed. I'm not even worried about that though, because I'm (hopefully) only a few weeks along.

sleepymommy87
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:58 AM
2 moms liked this
I've found that listening to my instincts makes everything in life easier. When I'm not trying to conform to society's expectations of how parenting should be, I'm able to see how natural and easy it is to listen to my gut and my baby. I don't find being a mother hard at all, but i also don't try to make my daughter conform to my lifestyle. Some of my friends are like aaagghh why won't my baby sleep in her crib omg i want to sleep for eight hours straight. Obviously it's harder for them because they have unrealistic (and imo selfish) expectations of their baby. Lol
SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:01 AM

There ought to be "Instincual parenting" where you just do what feels right.  My SIL sent me an email about how a baby needs three hours of tummy time a day or else they will never learn how to hold their head up or crawl.... Um, really? She gets about 3 minutes a day and sits (assisted) just fine.  Why are we (mothers) stressing this crap?

Quoting sleepymommy87:

I've found that listening to my instincts makes everything in life easier. When I'm not trying to conform to society's expectations of how parenting should be, I'm able to see how natural and easy it is to listen to my gut and my baby. I don't find being a mother hard at all, but i also don't try to make my daughter conform to my lifestyle. Some of my friends are like aaagghh why won't my baby sleep in her crib omg i want to sleep for eight hours straight. Obviously it's harder for them because they have unrealistic (and imo selfish) expectations of their baby. Lol

sleepymommy87
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I never did tummy time. Dd hated it, i didn't force it. I never had her in a bouncer or walker, rarely had her in the activity center thing. She was always in the Moby or mei tai. People would comment omg she's never gonna crawl or walk if you always hold her. She crawled the day after she turned seven months and started walking at nine months. Lol obviously i was holding her back. Smh.

Quoting SadieJames:

There ought to be "Instincual parenting" where you just do what feels right.  My SIL sent me an email about how a baby needs three hours of tummy time a day or else they will never learn how to hold their head up or crawl.... Um, really? She gets about 3 minutes a day and sits (assisted) just fine.  Why are we (mothers) stressing this crap?

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)