Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Spilled milk

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 15 Replies
My LO is 9 weeks. I haven't pumped much, but I do have enough for a couple of bottles in case of emergency.
DD (7yrs old) had the stomach virus Friday. We take a lot of precautions when the virus hits not to spread it. My husband has stomach problems and getting the stomach virus can take weeks for him to get back to normal. He was sick with it a few weeks ago and we were able to keep it contained.
I know I can nurse while I'm sick, but DH has pushed for me to pump in case I couldnt nurse for some reason. Pumping is kinda hit and miss for me. With my first child , I had pumped enough to share. My second, I had some extra but no where near what I did with the first. Now with number 3sometimes I get 2 ounces, and the most was 4 ounces. I know hhe's getting enough because he's growing nicely, but its like there is no extra.
So this morning I was pumping and got almost 3 ounces. So I closed the bag and went to take it to the fridge. Evidently it wasnt sealed well and I lost 2 ounces. I was so upset. Then my husband says " dont cry over spilt milk." Really?!? I know it happens but it so disheartening when im pumping so little.
Share your spilt milk stories.
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
My3beautys
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Aww, that really sucks. It sucks when you spill bm it's not like the stuff you buy at the store, it takes time and effort to get it.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Hugs! I remember having ti toss stored bm that expired, that was hard too.
I hope you all start feeling better.
bbysqd
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM

BUMP!

Sama2Mamma
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM
I get sad when I spill a few drops lol. Pumping is a pain in the ass! I hardly get anything out. I'm only pumping to donate too. Son only takes it straight from the source lol.
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM
That sucks!!!!
Remember normal pumping outputs is 0.5-2oz combined total per session.
And nursing while your sick is the best thing for your little one and your supply
naanaamoreno
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Ugh! Unless you've pumped you will never know how sad it is to spill your milk! DH didn't get why I was so sad when I spilled my milk or when I would find a full bottle of bm out on the counter. Wasted. Sigh....
Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM

The day care spilled one of his bottles due to a bottle malfunction.  I was sad but understood that accidents happen.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM
I Was Eping and it was still in those dazed newborn days. I pumped six ounces.... and dumped it straight down the drain. So dumb! Luckily I pumped enough for two babies and had plenty saved up.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Just so you know...you're pumping a LOT. Two ounces is normal max for both breasts. Four is overachieving.

bbysqd
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Quoting gdiamante:

Just so you know...you're pumping a LOT. Two ounces is normal max for both breasts. Four is overachieving.

Really? With my first I pump at minimum 6 ounces. I thought maybe I had a lower supply this time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN