Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Anybody gain weight after weaning?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am in the process of weaning my 20 month old and just wondering if I will gain any weight since I won't be burning off that extra 500 calories from breastfeeding. I eat like a horse (always have) but I do workout 4 times a week! 

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Yes, but only because i am pregnant lol.
From hearing from other.friends, they did not gain weight after weaning, some actually lost and some stayed the same.
twogirl91
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM

After my first child my weight dropped off, he ate ALL the time, I ate whatever I wanted. I started giving him solids at 6months old and within 2 months I gained 20lbs, it was awful.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I did gain 30lbs in 2 months when my daughter weaned, but I didn't drop those extra calories.  I was working out too, but since I was eating too many calories my weight just jumped.  I'm hoping to avoid that this time around.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I usually lose weight after weaning because I'm not as hungry as I was when nursing.

austinsmama1106
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I gained towards the end of nursing my older daughter. After she was fully weaned I found I was pregnant.
Topaz99
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I weaned my daughter when she was 2 years old.  I had been back to my prepregnancy weight for a year and I gained 10 lbs!   I didn't change my eating habits or working out so I cut back on calories for a few months to take it off.  

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I did. 15-20lbs. :(
saysmom
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Okay some of y'all are making me scared to wean! LOL!!!!!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

kajira
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Just cut out 300ish calories or so. That's basically a candy bar's worth of food. You don't over-eat for 1 person and you shouldn't gain weight.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Then I got pregnant within 3 months so I kept most of the weight although I still keep up with the same exercise program I had before so it hasn't caused excess weight gain. Just the initial 20ish lbs. I'm now 18 wks pregnant and I haven't gained anything so I'm hoping that it remaining a plateau will help it drop after birth like after my first 2, and then in 3ish years when this one weans, I'll know to pay better attention.
I'm not really upset with the gain. I was 115-117, now I'm at 135-137, which is within normal for my height. It s just something I'm not used to.

Quoting saysmom:

Okay some of y'all are making me scared to wean! LOL!!!!!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)