Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How long ?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM
  • 7 Replies
What is the longest amount of time you have heard of someone getting back to breastfeeding when baby has been bottle feeding ? My dd is 6 wks old, has never really latched, im barely getting anything when I pump and to be honest, im getting pretty burnt out and stressed about the whole thing.
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Six weeks? Pish. Give us a hard one. **grin**

We've had moms who've not nursed in several months. So this is completely doable if you want to do it.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM

You can keep trying to put her to breast.  I know that some moms in here have gone longer than that and ended up breastfeeding successfully.  What's going on with her latch?

My first was a preemie who never got the hang of latching.  I EP'd for 6 weeks until I just couldn't hack it anymore and I slowly weaned off of the pump over the next month and introduced formula.  It broke my heart, but I felt like I had a choice between being a food source or a good mom at that point--I had hit my limit.  Just ONE DROP of breastmilk has made you a success, even if she never gets any more.  You have done an amazing job!  ((hugs))

SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I know a woman who has never been pregnant who nursed her DS (adopted) and is ramping up to nurse her dd (adopting -due in two weeks).  Totally doable with desire and dedication. : )

momalee40
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Quoting K8wizzo:

You can keep trying to put her to breast.  I know that some moms in here have gone longer than that and ended up breastfeeding successfully.  What's going on with her latch?

My first was a preemie who never got the hang of latching.  I EP'd for 6 weeks until I just couldn't hack it anymore and I slowly weaned off of the pump over the next month and introduced formula.  It broke my heart, but I felt like I had a choice between being a food source or a good mom at that point--I had hit my limit.  Just ONE DROP of breastmilk has made you a success, even if she never gets any more.  You have done an amazing job!  ((hugs))

its something with her tongue. Not tied but it feels as if she flips the nipple. She also bites down. She had low tone at birth and is a sleepy baby due to having Down Syndrome. I have to wake her to feed since she isnt gaining well..I dont want to give up and regret it. I had wonderful bf experience with my other 2 , but im going back to work soon and its gonna be hard to sleep and pump and feed etc... I dont know, im just really stressed and sad that i cant do this for her. :( I have seen a LC and she just said she may grow out of it but she hasnt had much experience with babies with DS. Just looking for some light at the end of the tunnel I guess.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:29 AM

You are doing an amazing job.  Have you gotten in to see Early Intervention yet?  I know you had already called them, just not sure if you had the appointment.

Quoting momalee40:

Quoting K8wizzo:

its something with her tongue. Not tied but it feels as if she flips the nipple. She also bites down. She had low tone at birth and is a sleepy baby due to having Down Syndrome. I have to wake her to feed since she isnt gaining well..I dont want to give up and regret it. I had wonderful bf experience with my other 2 , but im going back to work soon and its gonna be hard to sleep and pump and feed etc... I dont know, im just really stressed and sad that i cant do this for her. :( I have seen a LC and she just said she may grow out of it but she hasnt had much experience with babies with DS. Just looking for some light at the end of the tunnel I guess.

momalee40
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Quoting K8wizzo:

yes, they did her evaluation and said if she didnt have the diagnosis of DS she wouldnt qualify for the program because her develpment is right where it should be ! Im making an appt with a ped that specializes in breastfeeding moms to see if she has any ideas. Baby still tries so hard to nurse but just chews on me. Wish us luck, im not ready to give up
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 1, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes!

Quoting momalee40:

Quoting K8wizzo:

yes, they did her evaluation and said if she didnt have the diagnosis of DS she wouldnt qualify for the program because her develpment is right where it should be ! Im making an appt with a ped that specializes in breastfeeding moms to see if she has any ideas. Baby still tries so hard to nurse but just chews on me. Wish us luck, im not ready to give up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)