Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Was told to stop nursing as much

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 22 Replies
My dd is 17.8 lbs at 14 months old. The pedi has never said anything about her being so small until this check up. He said that she didn't grow enough for his liking in between visits. He wants me to limit the nursing, and offer more solids.

She does eat solids, but she still prefers to nurse. He suggested making avocado smoothies and such, and to cut out water, and replace it with whole milk or juice. I'm at a loss about what to do. I don't want to stop nursing, unless I am hurting my dd :(
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:58 AM
you're not hurting her. smoothies aren't a bad idea for toddlers who don't eat many solids but i would still nurse as often as you both want.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Juice is full of sugar, and whole cows milk is never needed unless you want to give it. Cows milk is for baby cows to help them gain hundreds of pounds in a couple months. You're milk is specifically made for her as a human child.
Smoothies are good and can help add extra nutrition since toddlers are very picky with solids. Your milk will actually fill in the gaps that she doesn't get through food.

What was her birth weight, lowest weight and current weight? What was her gestational age? How tall is she? Is anyone else in your family tiny? Just trying to get some idea of how she's growing.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Your ped is wrong and should know that growth slows down when infants/toddlers become mobile and food becomes less important to them than playing and exploring. There is absolutely no reason to stop nursing until you and her are ready. Juice in place of water is a ridiculous suggestion. If she is meeting milestones and growing at her own pace, keep doing what you're doing and offer solids at normal meal and snack times. She will continue to grow at her own pace and will eat when she's hungry. Forcing her to eat when she doesn't want to and taking away nursing before either of you are ready could very well set you up for mealtime troubles for years to come.

svolkov
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Much of her calories should be coming from regular food now too. Hes not telling you to stop nursing hes telling you to offer more solids....also he is telling u to offer something with more fat rather than water. I like coconut milk. You can still nurse a lot just make sure she is getting solids too.
Analugojana
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I second the idea of smoothies. Banana and avocado are both healthy and calorie packed. You can also disguise greens and other nutritios foods in there ;) I used to put a handful of frozen blueberries and those hide even your grandma. Not that she needs to eat her grandma. Home squeezed juices in moderation are ok but not store bought. Your milk is way better than cow milk so I would forget that advice.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Go read kellymom's article about two year nursing. At her age, she's only supposed to be getting 25% from food. You're still her main nutrition source. Your doc is dumb. :)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM

DO NOT stop nursing. You can add all the other stuff he wants and continue nursing. But did she ever have dairy issues? Lack of gain is yet another sign of dairy sensitivity.

justone_jen
by Jen on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Don't limit nursing. For solids, you can offer high fat foods, like avocado, if you want to increase calories..

It's normal for growth to slow in the second year. My daughter fell a bit off her curve and my pediatrician wasn't worried at all.

If someone suggested giving my child juice, I'd immediately know they were clueless about nutrition, also.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM
THIS!

Quoting stepconfused182:

Your ped is wrong and should know that growth slows down when infants/toddlers become mobile and food becomes less important to them than playing and exploring. There is absolutely no reason to stop nursing until you and her are ready. Juice in place of water is a ridiculous suggestion. If she is meeting milestones and growing at her own pace, keep doing what you're doing and offer solids at normal meal and snack times. She will continue to grow at her own pace and will eat when she's hungry. Forcing her to eat when she doesn't want to and taking away nursing before either of you are ready could very well set you up for mealtime troubles for years to come.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM
The baby is 14 months. Lack of gain is normal at this age, is it not?

Quoting gdiamante:

DO NOT stop nursing. You can add all the other stuff he wants and continue nursing. But did she ever have dairy issues? Lack of gain is yet another sign of dairy sensitivity.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)