Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any IBCLCs out there? Or anyone working their way towards becoming one?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 8 Replies

Okay, so I've been reading A LOT about the whole process and I'm still kind of confused =(

I know I need to take the college courses and I'm working on getting enrolled at my local college. I'm debating if I should get my RN or not. I decided to go with Breastfeeding USA to get some volunteer/counseling hours and because I truly love helping moms and babies.

So here are my questions, what path did you take (I'm pretty sure I'm going to do Pathway 1)? Did you take your college courses before, after or during your process to becoming certified? Did you take any other lacation seminars/courses?

There are some upcoming lacation courses (Grow Our Own, Breastfeeding Summer Camp) and I'm wondering if they are courses I should take now or wait since it's going to take time to even complete my college courses and volunteer hours.

I don't know, I feel lost as to where to start and if I'm going about things in the right way. AHHHHHH!!!!

*Everyone with my employer in our city is being laid off (almost 1000 people) and I'd really like to take this opportunity to change career paths and do what I really want to do.

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Catholicmamamia and Irishlz and I think someone else are IBCLC in here : )

boom_maker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Thank you!!
lorsmommy08
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I am taking the RN route, only because I live in a very small town and Nevada breastfeeding rates/baby friendly hospitals are like none, haha. Like I can't even find someone wiling to let me get clinical hours with them. Except for WIC but the wic in my area isn't helpful either. 

So while I'm getting my pre req's done and into nursing school, I'm also doing some breastfeeding/lactation specific education. ILCA's website has really helpful webinars that count as EDU's and here when my actual college class load drops, I'm going to find more lactation specific education :). good luck!

boom_maker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Good luck on your journey!
I'm debating with the RN route because it will make more desirable and I will have more options. Problem is, there is a waiting list for the RN program here =( I've been the breadwinner for the last 6yrs so this is all a very scary change for me but I want to take the opportunity to do something I really want to do.
So do you think taking those extra classes now is good idea? They will give me hours I can use.

Quoting lorsmommy08:

I am taking the RN route, only because I live in a very small town and Nevada breastfeeding rates/baby friendly hospitals are like none, haha. Like I can't even find someone wiling to let me get clinical hours with them. Except for WIC but the wic in my area isn't helpful either. 

So while I'm getting my pre req's done and into nursing school, I'm also doing some breastfeeding/lactation specific education. ILCA's website has really helpful webinars that count as EDU's and here when my actual college class load drops, I'm going to find more lactation specific education :). good luck!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I'm a volunteer with Breastfeeding USA. I think you will be excited by how much you learn in the comprehensive training course with them. It is kind of like a "mini" IBCLC prep. It is a great place to start.

Don't start on your 90 hours of lactation education until you are close to taking the exam as those classes "expire" after two years (I think it is two years) Just applying for and sitting the exam is a 6 month process. I'd wait until the year before the exam. Take care of all of your college courses first. Also, you will probably get credit for 500 hrs per full year as a Breastfeeding USA BC, and that will start after you finish your BC training, so you are already looking at at least 2 yrs down the road.

It is really hard to get a full time job as an IBCLC if you are not also a nurse. It is all but impossible to work in a hospital if you are "only" an IBCLC. You may be able to get a job with WIC, and you can do private practice, but most private practice IBCLCs don't bring in much money.

I am taking the exam this summer and I am doing pathway 1. I had already taken all but one of the college courses. If you need to take most of the college courses, then you may want to really consider the RN route. If you are a medical professional that counts as the college courses. 

boom_maker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Thank you for the info! So very helpful!
I already applied with Breastfeeding USA and my 2 references have turned in their forms so I'm just waiting on them now. I haven't come across anyone that's even heard of them! I wanted to work with LLL but it seemed like they weren't interested in another leader.
I believe it's within 5 yrs you have to take the test after completing your 90hrs. There are some lactation classes coming up this summer and I'm interested in them but not sure if I'd be wasting my $$.
I think I may go the RN route just so I have more options. I really have no interest in being an RN though, that's where I'm torn! I really need to be in a position where I can make money though (does that sound bad?). I need to make $50k for my family to be "secure", we live in Cali.
Does Breastfeeding USA guarantee a certain amount of hours per year or is calculated differently?

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I'm a volunteer with Breastfeeding USA. I think you will be excited by how much you learn in the comprehensive training course with them. It is kind of like a "mini" IBCLC prep. It is a great place to start.

Don't start on your 90 hours of lactation education until you are close to taking the exam as those classes "expire" after two years (I think it is two years) Just applying for and sitting the exam is a 6 month process. I'd wait until the year before the exam. Take care of all of your college courses first. Also, you will probably get credit for 500 hrs per full year as a Breastfeeding USA BC, and that will start after you finish your BC training, so you are already looking at at least 2 yrs down the road.

It is really hard to get a full time job as an IBCLC if you are not also a nurse. It is all but impossible to work in a hospital if you are "only" an IBCLC. You may be able to get a job with WIC, and you can do private practice, but most private practice IBCLCs don't bring in much money.

I am taking the exam this summer and I am doing pathway 1. I had already taken all but one of the college courses. If you need to take most of the college courses, then you may want to really consider the RN route. If you are a medical professional that counts as the college courses. 

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Where in CA are you? 

I'd seriously wait on any classes until you finish the BFUSA training. I'm not sure how they calculate the volunteer hours for BFUSA as they were just recently approved by IBCLE, but I"m assuming it will be like it is for LLL, you get 500 hrs for every year of volunteering.

If you need to make $50K a year, there is all but no chance of doing that if you are "just" and IBCLC and not also an RN or something similar.

I know aboug BFUSA because I was involved in the founding and was one of the first BCs :-)

Quoting boom_maker:

I already applied with Breastfeeding USA and my 2 references have turned in their forms so I'm just waiting on them now. I haven't come across anyone that's even heard of them! I wanted to work with LLL but it seemed like they weren't interested in another leader.
I believe it's within 5 yrs you have to take the test after completing your 90hrs. There are some lactation classes coming up this summer and I'm interested in them but not sure if I'd be wasting my $$.
I think I may go the RN route just so I have more options. I really have no interest in being an RN though, that's where I'm torn! I really need to be in a position where I can make money though (does that sound bad?). I need to make $50k for my family to be "secure", we live in Cali.
Does Breastfeeding USA guarantee a certain amount of hours per year or is calculated differently?

Quoting maggiemom2000:

boom_maker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I'm in the Antelope Valley (northern Los Angeles county). I'm thinking maybe to just focus on my college courses and and my volunteering.
I know in my heart this is what I want my career to be. It's a huge change for me and kinda scary.
Our local RN program has a wait list I believe that's 3 semesters long =( I think the RN program is about 2yrs long. Kinda bums me out that I can't just do what I want and I need so much schooling.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Where in CA are you? 

I'd seriously wait on any classes until you finish the BFUSA training. I'm not sure how they calculate the volunteer hours for BFUSA as they were just recently approved by IBCLE, but I"m assuming it will be like it is for LLL, you get 500 hrs for every year of volunteering.

If you need to make $50K a year, there is all but no chance of doing that if you are "just" and IBCLC and not also an RN or something similar.

I know aboug BFUSA because I was involved in the founding and was one of the first BCs :-)

Quoting boom_maker:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)