Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Still waking up to nurse at 14 months old?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM
  • 36 Replies

My daughter has only slept all the way through the night a handful of times since she was born and now she is days away from being 14 months old and still wakes up at least once during the night to nurse. I know it's for comfort not nourishment, and I'm not crazy about wanting her to sleep all night but I would think by this time she would be sleeping all night on her own. I know she can sleep all night long because she has done it before and I've even done the whole "CIO" method a loooong time ago but decided against it because I figure she'll sleep all night when she's ready.

Is anyone else still getting up in the middle of the night to nurse a baby older than one year?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I've had two babies that needed to eat still at night past a year.  Yea, occasionally they did sleep all the way through but most of the time they still nursed at night, up until about 15/16 months old.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Yep mine is only a few weeks over 14 months and he nurses half the night, every night. I had been planning on night weaning him nest month, but since I'm pregnant I'm not going to. I figure my supply is already destined to take a hit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
austinsmama1106
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM
My daughter woke up to nurse until I weaned her at 22 months. She still wakes up once or twice a night and climbs in bed with me. It's been a year since she weaned
March12momma
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:26 PM
My 14 month old does this too.. But usually it's at around 3 or 6 am and then it's back to sleep until 8 ish
BabyMamaFergie
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM

That's exactly what mine does so it's not that bad waking up at 5am since she sleeps till like 8:30 or 9am some mornings. It makes it totally worth it! hahaha 

Quoting March12momma:

My 14 month old does this too.. But usually it's at around 3 or 6 am and then it's back to sleep until 8 ish

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Yes my DS is 20 months and nurses to sleep, once or twice during the night and as soon as we wake up. I don't let it phase me, just figure he'll be done when he's done. :-)
March12momma
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:32 PM
She will also nurse just a few times throughout a normal day, when not teething bad... I think we are about to be finished, but I don't really want to force it. I also personally don't want to nurse for two full years, because I am beginning to dislike it at times. So idk how much longer we will. What about you ladies?
MorganTho
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:33 PM
My dd started sleeping better at 16 months. She still wakes but her first stretch of sleep got longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyMamaFergie
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I'm not pushing the issue either. There are times when she is being clingier than normal where she'll want to nurse on demand once or twice during the day but that's not every day. If we are at home I figure there is no harm in nursing her if that is what she wants. I do try offering her her cup first and if she refuses and still wants to nurse then I nurse. I feel like we are close to being done, too, but I want her to stop when she is ready. I wrote a blog about it. She isn't putting me out any by continuing to nurse past one year. She'll stop when she is ready although If it does get closer to two, I may try to push the weaning along a little quicker but I'm not worried about it :)

Quoting March12momma:

She will also nurse just a few times throughout a normal day, when not teething bad... I think we are about to be finished, but I don't really want to force it. I also personally don't want to nurse for two full years, because I am beginning to dislike it at times. So idk how much longer we will. What about you ladies?

BabyMamaFergie
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Same here. It just crossed my mind this morning like "Am I the ONLY one still getting up at 4am to nurse my toddler??" It's nice to know :) And also very encouraging. It does make me sad to think of when she won't want it anymore! 

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Yes my DS is 20 months and nurses to sleep, once or twice during the night and as soon as we wake up. I don't let it phase me, just figure he'll be done when he's done. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)