Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Still waking up to nurse at 14 months old?

My daughter has only slept all the way through the night a handful of times since she was born and now she is days away from being 14 months old and still wakes up at least once during the night to nurse. I know it's for comfort not nourishment, and I'm not crazy about wanting her to sleep all night but I would think by this time she would be sleeping all night on her own. I know she can sleep all night long because she has done it before and I've even done the whole "CIO" method a loooong time ago but decided against it because I figure she'll sleep all night when she's ready.

Is anyone else still getting up in the middle of the night to nurse a baby older than one year?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Replies (31-36):
ArmyWife0927
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM
My dd is 16 months and she has never sttn. She wakes atleast 2-3 x a night. My friend told me she would sleep through the night if I stopped nursing her. *rolls eyes*
BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM
My almost 15 month old still wakes at least once to nurse. Most often she's up twice at night to nurse. Last week I thought I might try night weaning. All I did was let her nurse but then lay her down still awake. It was two miserable nights then she got sick so we scrapped the plan. Maybe I'll try again in a few months.

She's the exact opposite of my first who began sleeping 8+ hours at three weeks old. And she would take two 3 hour naps a day. She had me thinking breastfed babies all sleep well!
Mama-Doe
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM

My daughter is almost 15 months.  She wakes up between 3-5 pm and nurses on both sides.  She does occationally sleep through the night.  It seems like in the last month or two her wake up time is closer to 5.  I think that she will sleep through when I wean her.  I have no plans of doing that anytime soon, so it looks like we will continue to nurse at night!

MountainMomma2
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Each kiddo is different. If your sleep is being disturbed to the point you need to make a change, then you should make a change! There are gentle suggestions in The Womanly Art, Nightine Parenting, The Sleep Book & Tge No Cry Sleep Solution. If it's pressure from other people that your LO is still nursing. Smile & don't offer the sleep update. Confide, commiserate with others that have similar parenting goals :)
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM

My son woke up to nurse at least once a night until he was 18 months old.  My newly-turned 2 yr old still wakes at least once a night more nights than not, though she is finally starting to change that pattern (fingers crossed - I'm tired!!)  :) 

Amber5151
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Mine is 16 months and I don't think he has ever slept through the night. He nurses about 6-12 times every 24 hours still. He isn't ready to wean and I'm not ready to make him
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN