Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping Laws? for teenagers at school? Help!

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM
  • 35 Replies

I'm trying to help out a friend. 

Her dd is 16, in 10th grade, and has a newborn she is breastfeeding. She is the first student in the history of the school to breastfeed (it's the school they send all the pregnant teens to so she isn't the first one to have a baby, just the first one to actually breastfeed). 

What rights does she have? The school is giving her a hard time. Teachers don't want her to leave class to pump and the room they will let her pump in doesn't have an electrical outlet. She asked if she could sit in the nurses room and pump and the nurse said no b/c other students would be in there and would see her. 

Anyone have any ideas? 

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Can she get into the public home school programs?I don't know if it's available everywhere but it was to a friend of mine. She was in 10th grade when she her son, and opted to drop out. Instead the school board offered her a free program where a teacher would come to her house and tutor her, and she'd take some classes online. Maybe something like that?
I don't know if the pumping laws include school. Hopefully someone else will.
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh& kudos to her for bfing!!! <3
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM
What the heck? A school for pregnant moms? Like a 1950's flashback post. Is it a private school? How sad that they don't want other students to see her breastfeeding. What state is this in?
marilyn623
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Im not sure of the laws, but maybe k 12 would be a good option? She could be home w her baby and still finish school.
Sama2Mamma
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Not sure but yay for her breastfeeding.
mypbandj
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I think she can next year but for the rest of this year (only like 2-3 more weeks) she has to finish at school. 

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Can she get into the public home school programs?I don't know if it's available everywhere but it was to a friend of mine. She was in 10th grade when she her son, and opted to drop out. Instead the school board offered her a free program where a teacher would come to her house and tutor her, and she'd take some classes online. Maybe something like that?

mypbandj
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM

It's public school! They wouldn't let her attend her home school and make her to to one for "troubled" kids. Its in KS. 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

What the heck? A school for pregnant moms? Like a 1950's flashback post. Is it a private school? How sad that they don't want other students to see her breastfeeding. What state is this in?

mypbandj
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I think she might do that next year. 

Quoting marilyn623:

Im not sure of the laws, but maybe k 12 would be a good option? She could be home w her baby and still finish school.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

That sucks. :( 
In Kansas the law states that the mother has a right to breastfeed any place that she has the right to be. It doesn't state any pumping laws though. Here's the link for that: http://www.ksbreastfeeding.org/Families/Legislation.aspx
Here's an article that may help: http://theleakyboob.com/tag/teen-mom-breastfeeding/ 

Quoting mypbandj:

I think she can next year but for the rest of this year (only like 2-3 more weeks) she has to finish at school. 

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008) & Caidence(2010). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

kitty8199
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:28 PM
2 moms liked this
I believe pumping laws are federal. They have to allow it and have to provide a place.
Since technically school is her job at 16, I'd go with those laws
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN