Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Back and Forth

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 20 Replies

Since I have joined today, I have tried to exclusively breast feed all day.  She keeps just wanting to go back and forth between each breast. She doesn't want my husband to hold her and just keeps crying when she isn't feeding. This has made me more sore than anything, and I am tired. How many times do I keep letting her feed over and over? I have played with her, changed her, burped her, etc to try and distract her. I finally gave in and let my husband give her two ounces of formula, and she stopped crying long enough to take short nap, then woke up to beg to eat again. She is only 8 weeks old. I don't want to give up, but I have other things I need to do than sit here and feed her back and forth nonstop. This is why I think I am not making enough! I am not a pacifier!

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what she is supposed to do. In guessing until now you have been supplements? Baby Is trying to bring in your full supply. And you ARE a pacifier. Comfort feeding is very important to supply. No limiting time at the breast.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM
And you absolutely do not have anything else to do. If it isn't needed for survival, it just isn't important right now. Believe me when I say every successful breastfeeding mom has been trough this it's just part of it.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM
One more thing. How much was baby previously being supplemented?
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM
This is what my eight week old did when we switched from bottles of bm to breast. It only lasted 2-3 days and then he would go 2-3 hours. He is just trying to up your supply by switch feeding and cluster feeding. If you allow it and stop fighting it then it will go much faster. But that 2 ounces of formula will be two ounces your body won't know to make tomorrow. Gl
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you joined, OP!

I just wanted to echo this.  Can it be frustrating to have a baby on you all day?  Yes.  

However, try to view it as a blessing.  It forces you to slow down and be still.  She won't stay on you constantly forever.  Don't give in just b/c she's a little fussy.  It's fine for her to go back and forth.  

Get some good nipple cream :)  Yeah, you'll be sore but it gets better.  

Quoting ceckyl:

That's what she is supposed to do. In guessing until now you have been supplements? Baby Is trying to bring in your full supply. And you ARE a pacifier. Comfort feeding is very important to supply. No limiting time at the breast.

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM

This too.  

BTW, how old is your baby, OP?

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

This is what my eight week old did when we switched from bottles of bm to breast. It only lasted 2-3 days and then he would go 2-3 hours. He is just trying to up your supply by switch feeding and cluster feeding. If you allow it and stop fighting it then it will go much faster. But that 2 ounces of formula will be two ounces your body won't know to make tomorrow. Gl

macmom72
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM

but my arms are tired. I need a nap and a shower. I am getting into a really bad mood.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter will be 8 weeks on Wednesday.  She's doing the exact same thing.  It's a growth spurt, and in your case shes's got to work harder at building up your milk supply, to make up for the supplementing you've done and the growth spurt on top of that.  I have things that need to be done too, but they are not more important than feeding my child.

You are a pacifier, pacifiers were created to replace Mom, not the other way around.  This won't last forever, but the more you supplement the more you won't have milk.

The ONLY way to tell if you're not making enough is by counting diapers.  That's it.  Newborns are supposed to be clingy and want to nurse 24/7.   

Quoting macmom72:

Since I have joined today, I have tried to exclusively breast feed all day.  She keeps just wanting to go back and forth between each breast. She doesn't want my husband to hold her and just keeps crying when she isn't feeding. This has made me more sore than anything, and I am tired. How many times do I keep letting her feed over and over? I have played with her, changed her, burped her, etc to try and distract her. I finally gave in and let my husband give her two ounces of formula, and she stopped crying long enough to take short nap, then woke up to beg to eat again. She is only 8 weeks old. I don't want to give up, but I have other things I need to do than sit here and feed her back and forth nonstop. This is why I think I am not making enough! I am not a pacifier!

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Nap with your baby, latch them on and fall asleep.  A lot of new mothers don't get a shower, and it won't last forever.

Quoting macmom72:

but my arms are tired. I need a nap and a shower. I am getting into a really bad mood.

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

macmom72
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I am tired of all of ou making me feel guilty. I did not stop feeding her for hours, but I know I don't have hours of milk inside me. My husband made me stop to feed myself, then after feeding her for over an hour more, I gave her a bottle. She didn't even take half an ounce before she fell asleep. I am looking for support, not criticism. Goodbye.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN