Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

migrane help please

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM
  • 41 Replies
I took relpax for migraines before I was pregnant and got a reprieve from them during pregnancy, I know I can't take relpax while breastfeeding, any suggestions? I was hoping they would stay gone as long as AF did, but I guess Im not that lucky.
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Same boat :)  I also took topamax and I can't wait to get back on that! 

Right now, if I get a migraine, I take 4 advil and a Benadryl and have a soda.  

Fiorcet is okay while bf'ing -- I've taken that too, it's just a last resort right now.  

AussieReg
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

HAve you access to a good Chinese acupuncturist? Maybe if you have a good one they will clear you of ever having a migrane again.

reneer1
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Quoting anxiousschk:

Same boat :)  I also took topamax and I can't wait to get back on that! 

Right now, if I get a migraine, I take 4 advil and a Benadryl and have a soda.  

Fiorcet is okay while bf'ing -- I've taken that too, it's just a last resort right now.  

My ob had said we could go to fiorcet if necessary, of course I don't have a RX yet since I was hoping to not need it lol. I have benadryl, but only aleve or ibuprofen, do you know if either of those are OK? I cleared caffeine out of my system when lo wasn't sleeping, but I might be desperate enough very soon!
Duh on the ibuprofen/advil question lol, forget I asked that!
reneer1
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Quoting AussieReg:

HAve you access to a good Chinese acupuncturist? Maybe if you have a good one they will clear you of ever having a migrane again.

Never thought of acupuncture, I have tried a chiropractor before and that was a fail, I'm pretty open to trying anything so I'll probably look one up!
AussieReg
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I have had a lower back issue completely and utterly cured by one and some other people I know have had some good luck. It is non invasive and if you live in CHicago I could recommend one.

rHOPEb
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I take 50mg of Topomax daily.  However, since I've been taking Magnesium daily my headaches have drastically decreased!  So, maybe I can slowly come off the meds and just take the suppliments.  I haven't seen any side effects on my child since taking either. 

AshSpringer
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Wait... Relpax isn't safe while nursing?! My neurologist said it was! Thank goodness I only took it 2 times since DS was born. I didn't like the way it made me feel and it caused nursing to be unbearable for 12ish hours after taking it!
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I love both acupuncture and chiro care, but neither one has been able to help me with my migraines :(

Quoting reneer1:

Quoting AussieReg:

Never thought of acupuncture, I have tried a chiropractor before and that was a fail, I'm pretty open to trying anything so I'll probably look one up!

anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Ibuprofen is advil :)  Don't exceed the dosage on the bottle but I was cleared for 800mg every 8 hours (I think that's inline with the bottle dosages)

reneer1
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Quoting AussieReg:

I have had a lower back issue completely and utterly cured by one and some other people I know have had some good luck. It is non invasive and if you live in CHicago I could recommend one.

No such luck, St. Louis, but thanks!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)