Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Question on this provided schedule..

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM
  • 22 Replies

So I was on this site: www.fitpregnancy.com 

and it suggests the following feeding schedule to get started with breastfeeding:

Day 1- Nurse baby whenever and however often as he wants. but limit each session to 5 minutes on each breast (10 mins. total), and if he still wants to suck after that then use a finger

Day 2- Add second additional minutes making it give or take a total of 14 minutes, however many times he wants.

Day 3- Add an additional 10 minutes so it is 20 minutes total

Day 4 and beyond...feed as often however many times he wants with no time restrictions. 

Is this a good idea or a bad idea? Has anyone done this before..like eased into it?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

My opinion?  That's bs.  

Nurse on demand.  Whenever baby wants for as long as baby wants.  That's the only schedule for you to worry about :) 

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM
NEVER ever limit feedings, schedule feedings, or limit time spent on breast. That's a very quick way to end up with a failure to thrive baby and low milk supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Always nurse baby on demand, whenever baby wants, for as long as baby wants. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slransde
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep

No schedule, no limit

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Always nurse baby on demand, whenever baby wants, for as long as baby wants. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clemency3
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:44 PM

LOL yea I thought something sounded wrong when I was reading it. I was like.."really? everything else tells me to just feed, feed, feed!" lol..glad I made sure that was wrong. 

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

NEVER ever limit feedings, schedule feedings, or limit time spent on breast. That's a very quick way to end up with a failure to thrive baby and low milk supply.

CafeMom Tickers

CatFishMom
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Ive nursed two babies and Ive never heard of such a stupid thing. I latched my sons on and let them nurse until their sucking began to ease-typically ten to fifteen minutes. Then I switched breasts. Sometimes the second breast was only a few minutes as a result but I would simply start on that breast next time. Yes, I did feed on demand. Why the heck would you use a finger to let them suck on day one? Thats asinine.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM

That is crazy!!!  

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
lol nursing as much as possible is especially important in the beginning! It's what establishes your supply! :)
Good job on questioning it mama! It's sad to think how many moms are told this, then do it, then end up not being successful because their supply was sabotaged from day one. :(

Quoting Clemency3:

LOL yea I thought something sounded wrong when I was reading it. I was like.."really? everything else tells me to just feed, feed, feed!" lol..glad I made sure that was wrong. 

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analugojana
by Christine on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Nonono. No schedule whatsoever for a newborn. They can live on your breast sometimes. 

Clemency3
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Thank you for all your input! lol..I knew something sounded wrong..glad I made sure of it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)