Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

He's off the boob! :(

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:18 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hi moms,

It is currently day 5 of weaning off breastfeeding....and I can't say I'm thrilled...but more sad I think?  He just turned 20 months but he kept hanging on to the boob for a good 30 minutes when I really don't have much milk if any!  He only nursed once a day but I know I have to stay strong.  I just feel guilty and depressed.  Sometimes I just want to whip it out...yesterday was heart wrenching since that's what comforts him...I couldn't give in to him!  I try to hug him but he pushes away from hugs and tries to lift my shirt...

i feel like That was our special time together so I'm missing that..since he was pretty cuddly then....

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:21 AM
1 mom liked this

So why are you weaning if it makes you unhappy?

naanaamoreno
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:53 AM
1 mom liked this
This! There's obviously a need. He may not get as much nourishment as he once did but he gets comfort & feels safe. It's worth it to continue!

Quoting gdiamante:

So why are you weaning if it makes you unhappy?

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:47 AM
2 moms liked this
if it makes you both happy then nurse him. You don't have to let him nurse for 30 minutes. You can say you can nurse ten minutes then it's all gone and mommy has to go do something.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
If you are both unhappy then I think it's not the right time. I agree with setting limits that you are more comfortable with. Win-win.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:01 AM
3 moms liked this

This.  When feedings got too long I would tell my DS "one more twinkle, twinkle" and then I would sing twinkle twinkle little star and unlatch him at the end.  After a few times he unlatched himself at the end of the song.  Eventually he even started humming it to himself towards the end of a feeding and unlatched at the end.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

If you are both unhappy then I think it's not the right time. I agree with setting limits that you are more comfortable with. Win-win.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM
I agree with everyone else! ^^^
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommei1
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I was getting pressure from other moms as he is 20 months old....

think it might be too late to go back? Or would it confuse him?

i think I can do 5 minutes on each once a day!

polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Weaning happens when mom and baby want it to. Not because other people pressure you. Babies are supposed to nurse until they no longer need to. I don't plan on weaning my son at all. He'll stop in his own when he's ready. He's 14 months now. The world health organization reccomends nursing until the age of two before beginning the weaning process.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:30 AM
2 moms liked this
Who is more important, the other judgmental moms or those beautiful little eyes that stare at you with love during your special nursing cuddling sessions? Cuz I'm pretty sure i couldn't give a damn less what people think when it comes to my daughter. SHE is what matters to me, eff everyone else. :)

Quoting Mommei1:

I was getting pressure from other moms as he is 20 months old....

think it might be too late to go back? Or would it confuse him?

i think I can do 5 minutes on each once a day!

Mommei1
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks mommies!  I think I just needed encouragement and support.  It's not like he's going to want to be on there forever...just going to keep my mouth shut around certain moms I think! <3 happy early Mother's Day!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)