Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When to introduce meats?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 11 Replies

DD is almost 9 months and eats like a champ and still nurses a lot which I'm glad of. She still nurses every 2 hours at least and eats only fresh veggies and fruits. I haven't given her anything else but those things and she loves them. She just loves food in general. I don't know when to introduce meats though. I would assume closer to one but she wants food all the time. She's only inthe 10% percentile of weight but she's very normal so I'm not concerned about her weight or anything just didn't know what to introduce next and when.

EDIT:

YAAAY! Post got featured! :-D Thanks!

Thanks for all the wonderful replies too. :-) I'm going to try ans see how she takes a few pieces. I give her chunky purees most of the time. She chews some but I've tried giving her chunks of soft food and the only food she doesn't choke/gag (more like gagging) on is banana. I make my own purees and she likes them chunky. Maybe I can puree come chunky chicken? I can try the chunks first and if she chokes/gags then try to puree them. I'm sure she'll love them. She'll eat anything. Well... except avacado. She hates it. :-(

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Meats are a great first food.  We introduced them at around 7 months after we did avocados, bananas, and sweet potatoes.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:45 AM
My daughter's first solid food was meat--she grabbed a chunk off her daddy's ham sandwich while she was sitting in his lap and ate it with much pleasure! Kellymom.com has an article on baby-led solids with all the what, when and how, which should be of help to you.
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
It was one of my baby's first foods as well. He liked pot roast, ribs, meatballs. I just chose meats that fell apart and he was fine. Don't forget about flounder and other fish too. They are soft and great for them too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaDee83
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I gave my DD meat around 10 - 12 months. I held off on introducing solids anyway, as she was a little premature and was spitting up breast milk until about 6 months old. I figured that her digestive system needed to be treated as if it were a little immature (which it really was at that point), so I gave her some veggies and fruits around 8 - 9 months of age. I think that the "recommended" age to give them meats is around 9 months or so, but I don't see the harm in waiting.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Meat is great as a first food... id introduce now! :) soft chicken pieces, fish, slow cooked beef... Just put it on her tray. She'll love it.
Eliots_momma
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
It was one of Bear's first foods :)
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Meat is actually recommended as a good first food because it is high in iron and zinc. If baby is ready for solids then he is ready for meat!

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

meatballs and strips of baked chiken breast were favorites at about 7 months  :)

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

We gave meat from the start. My twins first solid meal was grilled chicken strips and avocado. 

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My first was ftt and under the care of a nutritionist, meats are highly recommened as a first food.  They have a lot of protein, iron, and are easier to digest than grains.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)