Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

For those that pump and feed?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM
  • 27 Replies
2 moms liked this

The last time that I fed my 20 month old daughter was 6 days ago. I have been pumping and giving it to her in a cup. But it seems I'm not getting as much milk as I thought I would. Which I have had a very busy last couple of days and have only been able to pump once. I would like to feed her until August when she turns 2! It was just time to take her off of my breast, she used it as a comfort piece and I think she was getting a little old for that and I want to break the pacifier habit soon and didn't want to do it all at once. I only pumped 1 ounce last night. Is that even going to be enough to justify still trying to breastfeed her. She does like whole milk and has been drinking it. HELP!!!!!!

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Have you been pumping for a while or are you just starting now? Just because you can only pump 1 ounce doesn't mean she can't get 4 ounces every time. Pump response declines. If you haven't been pumping all this time then you might have been lucky to get that ounce. (And a great number of us here don't think 20 months is too old at all to still be nursing. :-) but we all have our personal limits.
saysmom
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

As you can see, I am very pro breastfeeding and that is why I want to continue breastfeeding until the recommended age of two. But it has gotten to the point where she tries lifting my shirt and grabbing all over my breasts and I have tried distraction but she gets so mad! And I know this summer when I'm in my bathing suit it will be worse. If she can see them, she wants them. And it isn't because she is hungry, she is tired or she just wants to use them as a pacifier. And in my opinion 20 months old is too old to be using a breast for comfort or a pacifier! 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Have you been pumping for a while or are you just starting now? Just because you can only pump 1 ounce doesn't mean she can't get 4 ounces every time. Pump response declines. If you haven't been pumping all this time then you might have been lucky to get that ounce. (And a great number of us here don't think 20 months is too old at all to still be nursing. :-) but we all have our personal limits.

Jstoddard98
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you saying in the past couple of days you have neither pumped or nursed except for that 1 pumping session?  With BM supply if you don't use it you will lose it. Pumping once every few days won't be enough to maintain a supply.  

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
1 ounce is in the range of normal. You need to pump when she'd normally nurse. Don't expect more then half an ounce to two ounces per pumping session. If you are just now starting to pump you won't have a great response to the pump, many women would get next to nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saysmom
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this

No I have pumped several times in e last 6 days! Just prob not as much as I should since I've had a lot going on!

Quoting Jstoddard98:

Are you saying in the past couple of days you have neither pumped or nursed except for that 1 pumping session?  With BM supply if you don't use it you will lose it. Pumping once every few days won't be enough to maintain a supply.  

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Even experienced pumping moms often lose pump response around the year mark. If your intention is to start pumping now to fill a sippy, you can probably expect to pump *at least* 4-6 times a day. Even if you have a hospital grade pump, they're not even half as effective as a baby at removing milk so you have to work a lot harder for less yield. It's great that you want to give her breastmilk for a few more months. I had absolutely pitiful pump response after the first month.

Quoting saysmom:

No I have pumped several times in e last 6 days! Just prob not as much as I should since I've had a lot going on!

Quoting Jstoddard98:

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:59 AM
3 moms liked this
That's just a matter of teaching nursing manners. Treat it like any other behavioral issue and let her know it's not ok. It will take time, just like teaching anything else.

A good half of the benefits of nursing a toddler is for comfort purposes. They do still need oral comfort at this age. It's ok to set limits for her, but she does still have needs that she's asking you to meet.

In the absence of the breast being available, I'd definitely keep the paci. Of course, nursing would be better for her dental health and palette development than a paci, or a sippy... But it should be ok as long as she doesnt have it all day long.

Like pp said... Pump response declines. You may need to pump 4-6 times a day for a single sippy. It's a lot of work.

I would (and do!) Just continue nursing. It's easier to teach her what's acceptable than to pump that much and then still have to meet her comfort needs in other ways. Nursing is the whole package! Best tool in the mommy toolbox. I don't know how people raise toddlers without it! :)

Quoting saysmom:

As you can see, I am very pro breastfeeding and that is why I want to continue breastfeeding until the recommended age of two. But it has gotten to the point where she tries lifting my shirt and grabbing all over my breasts and I have tried distraction but she gets so mad! And I know this summer when I'm in my bathing suit it will be worse. If she can see them, she wants them. And it isn't because she is hungry, she is tired or she just wants to use them as a pacifier. And in my opinion 20 months old is too old to be using a breast for comfort or a pacifier! 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with all of this!

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

That's just a matter of teaching nursing manners. Treat it like any other behavioral issue and let her know it's not ok. It will take time, just like teaching anything else.

A good half of the benefits of nursing a toddler is for comfort purposes. They do still need oral comfort at this age. It's ok to set limits for her, but she does still have needs that she's asking you to meet.

In the absence of the breast being available, I'd definitely keep the paci. Of course, nursing would be better for her dental health and palette development than a paci, or a sippy... But it should be ok as long as she doesnt have it all day long.

Like pp said... Pump response declines. You may need to pump 4-6 times a day for a single sippy. It's a lot of work.

I would (and do!) Just continue nursing. It's easier to teach her what's acceptable than to pump that much and then still have to meet her comfort needs in other ways. Nursing is the whole package! Best tool in the mommy toolbox. I don't know how people raise toddlers without it! :)

Quoting saysmom:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

sleepymommy87
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I totally agree with all of this! 

OP, I totally respect your opinion that you think 20 months is too old to be comfort nursing. But it doesn't change the biological fact that it's still a need to her that needs to be met, not a matter of whether or not you think she doesn't or does need it. If that makes sense. Your personal preference is for her to not breastfeed directly anymore, and at 20 months you're well within your right to do that lol. But to her, it's going to be an emotionally hard thing for her to give up because she's not ready. You can't make her be ready, and you can't make her be okay with weaning completely. You've made it so far and I commend you! But be realistic about what you're expecting of your daughter, because at that age she's going to have to have that need met someway or another... whether it's with mommy's breast (the ultimate comfort and loving place) or a paci, or a thumb, or something else. She's not going to grow out of it until she's ready. As  pp has said, I also agree with teaching her nursing manners, setting time limits if you must, explaining that they're only for bedtime or naptime, etc. Good luck! :)

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting saysmom:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

saysmom
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I truly do see where you all are coming from! But I chose to breastfeed because it is what is best nutritionally for my child not because of comfort! she can bet comfort so many other ways! And that is why I will continue to pump and hopefully feed her until 20 months! I weaned my first at 17 months because I felt like it was time and I was going to be away from her for several days. When I got home, she didn't even try to nurse. And my 20 month old has done so good so far! I figured we a would have nap and bedtime issues because that's when I usually nurse but she has been fine and drank a cup of milk and layed right down so whose to say she wasn't ready! And I do understand child led weaning but what about when they get 3,4 or 5 years old and still nursing! That's just too much for me! 

Quoting sleepymommy87:

I totally agree with all of this! 

OP, I totally respect your opinion that you think 20 months is too old to be comfort nursing. But it doesn't change the biological fact that it's still a need to her that needs to be met, not a matter of whether or not you think she doesn't or does need it. If that makes sense. Your personal preference is for her to not breastfeed directly anymore, and at 20 months you're well within your right to do that lol. But to her, it's going to be an emotionally hard thing for her to give up because she's not ready. You can't make her be ready, and you can't make her be okay with weaning completely. You've made it so far and I commend you! But be realistic about what you're expecting of your daughter, because at that age she's going to have to have that need met someway or another... whether it's with mommy's breast (the ultimate comfort and loving place) or a paci, or a thumb, or something else. She's not going to grow out of it until she's ready. As  pp has said, I also agree with teaching her nursing manners, setting time limits if you must, explaining that they're only for bedtime or naptime, etc. Good luck! :)

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting saysmom:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)