Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing and gaining weight???

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 5 Replies

So....I never really gain a lot of weight when I am pregnant. But with my last baby (10 mo) I had GD. I have gained 12lbs since he was born and I am EBF. It is super frustrating!!

I just had my thyroid tested and everything is normal. I don't just eat whatever I want. I eat pretty healthy anyway....organic, nothing processed, etc.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?? I am so over this and just depressed about it.

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Try tracking your calories on myfitnesspal.  There are negative calorie entries for breastfeeding, everything from ebf to toddlers, that add the specific calorie coutns and macronutrients to yoru day that nursing your baby takes.  Can you try taking the kids for walks every day now that it's nice?

sassysilvergirl
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I just signed up for myfitnesspal today!! LOL!!!!

My schedule is NUTS!!!!! I work from 10am-7pm on Mondays, 8am-5pm on Tues/Thurs and 10am-5pm on Wednesday.

My 8 yr old has baseball Tues/Thurs, I have a church worship practice on Wednesday nights, I also work a part time job from home at night and have to do 20 hours a week.

My husband started a new job and is gone for the next 6 weeks so I am on my own. I started a new job in Sept 2012, so my world has just been flipped all around. Ugh!!

I live in Michigan so just this week it has gotten nice.....hoping we can get out this weekend.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Are you eating enough? That's important too. When I started tracking my calories, and made sure I ate them all. I've lost 11.5 since February 22. I'm in Ohio, so it's just gotten warm here too, I have only been excersizing the last few weeks. Half that weight came off in the first 2 weeks, It's slow going on weight loss when your breastfeeding. I've also been following weight watchers on my own, their program is great for nursing moms.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 1, 2013 at 2:13 AM

There was some research I heard about a couple of months ago, suggesting that to lose weight, one should make sure they eat most of their calories before three PM and very little after that time. No matter what schedule you kept. 

I've been trying that and noticing it makes a difference.

sassysilvergirl
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Not really sure how many calories I should be eating. Been trying to eat about 1800. Not there yet today though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)