Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

can babies get strep throat?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:16 AM
  • 20 Replies

i think i have strep. sore throat for a couple of days, and now i have a white spot on the back on my throat. i've had it before. but no fever, i think that's weird. but i am going tomorrow to see the doctor.

i have a five month old, and he has been coughing lately, and is a little congested. i did some searching on google (ohmygosh it's cancer and we're all gonna die!!!! lol), and it said the more cold symptoms there are, such as a runny nose, the less likely that it's strep.

i'm still worried. he's never had any immunizations except for what he had at the hospital, because i delay vax. my oldest had the pneumonia vaccine (i didn't want it, but dh convinced me), and she and i both got pneumonia, and she stayed at twelve pounds for three months, and the doctor really freaked me out. he sent us to a gastroenterologist, and had me supplement her diet with formula, the kind that they give NICU babies to boost her weight. the whole ordeal was really upsetting. i got the measels AND the mumps after getting the MMR as a kid, so i'm very careful about which vaccines.

so what do i do? i know if i take antibiotics, i can get thrush, right? or is that the baby? i've never had to take antibiotics while pregnant, so i'm really worried. i know that my breast milk is immune boosting, but he obviously got sick anyway.

i'm also worried that any doctor will look at him and wonder why i haven't vaccined him. i'm worried about taking a sick baby that hasn't had vaccines in, and having the doctor freak out over it. but i do know that strep is scary unless treated. i had it once, and thought it was the flu, and i broke out in a rash, and now i'm allergic to the cold - every time i touch something cold, i break out again.

sorry it's all over the place, i haven't gotten much sleep the last couple of days, and now i'm freaking out. i was really hoping it wasn't strep.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this
If you take antibiotics you're supposed to take probiotics as well to prevent thrush for both of you if I'm not mistaken (if I am, I'm sure someone will correct me)
I don't know about strep though. I haven't had it since I was a kid. Sorry. Don't worry about what other people think about your choices. You go to the doctor for medical care, not to hear his opinions on things you've already done the research on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:30 AM
I'm just worried that they will say something because he hasn't been to the doctor since we left the hospital. He has always been super healthy, no issues, and my health has not been the greatest since giving birth. I have three in diapers, and when I gave birth, it was December, and the holiday rush. My other son is just a year older than him, and we didn't take him in until he was like two months old.
I just think that a doctor would see that as excuses, ya know? Like I said, the first experience with their doctor freaked me out. I've actually been searching for a new pediatrician.

Quoting polkaspots:

If you take antibiotics you're supposed to take probiotics as well to prevent thrush for both of you if I'm not mistaken (if I am, I'm sure someone will correct me)

I don't know about strep though. I haven't had it since I was a kid. Sorry. Don't worry about what other people think about your choices. You go to the doctor for medical care, not to hear his opinions on things you've already done the research on.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:39 AM
You said you have an appt for yourself tomorrow, right? You'll find out then if you have strep. Even if you had vaccinated on schedule, he wouldn't have been vaccinated for strep anyway. If he stays sick or gets worse you can take him to the doctor too. It's starting to really hit me how so many people are more worried about what the doctor will say than the actual health of their child. You don't sound all that worried about him, you say he's been coughing and is a bit congested. That does sound like a cold to me. But you shouldn't be worried about some other persons opinion. The doctor isn't supposed to tell you their opinion, their advice is supposed to be based on years of med school and facts. I'm sorry for ranting. I just went through a thing with my son's ped bc he thinks I nurse him too much. I'm sure you'll both be fine. I had winter babies too, and I don't drive, so both my babies were a bit late with the early doctor visits.

Quoting AngryBob:

I'm just worried that they will say something because he hasn't been to the doctor since we left the hospital. He has always been super healthy, no issues, and my health has not been the greatest since giving birth. I have three in diapers, and when I gave birth, it was December, and the holiday rush. My other son is just a year older than him, and we didn't take him in until he was like two months old.

I just think that a doctor would see that as excuses, ya know? Like I said, the first experience with their doctor freaked me out. I've actually been searching for a new pediatrician.

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:52 AM
I don't have an appt, but when I saw the white spot, I turned to dh and said, I'm going to the doctor tomorrow! I don't mess with strep.
Rant away. I get upset about it, too. I hate how my parenting decisions can be called into question, and how fearful we have become of a call to CPS, ya know? But thank you for your words. I needed to hear them from someone else. I'd be saying the same thing to someone, were the situation reversed. But when you're in that position, your resolve crumbles sometimes lol.

Quoting polkaspots:

You said you have an appt for yourself tomorrow, right? You'll find out then if you have strep. Even if you had vaccinated on schedule, he wouldn't have been vaccinated for strep anyway. If he stays sick or gets worse you can take him to the doctor too. It's starting to really hit me how so many people are more worried about what the doctor will say than the actual health of their child. You don't sound all that worried about him, you say he's been coughing and is a bit congested. That does sound like a cold to me. But you shouldn't be worried about some other persons opinion. The doctor isn't supposed to tell you their opinion, their advice is supposed to be based on years of med school and facts. I'm sorry for ranting. I just went through a thing with my son's ped bc he thinks I nurse him too much. I'm sure you'll both be fine. I had winter babies too, and I don't drive, so both my babies were a bit late with the early doctor visits.

Quoting AngryBob:

Quoting polkaspots:

Kitsun
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM
Text me tomorrow and I'll give you the number to our pedi..he's a hell of a drive out, but worth it. He's the one that helped get CPS off our backs and tried to help me continue nursing the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, I understand what you mean about resolve. His ped wanted me to cut back on the nursing and start weaning in addition to giving vitamins because of one finger prick that apparently said his iron was on the low side. (Not low enough for the doctor to do anything though...)

Quoting AngryBob:

I don't have an appt, but when I saw the white spot, I turned to dh and said, I'm going to the doctor tomorrow! I don't mess with strep.

Rant away. I get upset about it, too. I hate how my parenting decisions can be called into question, and how fearful we have become of a call to CPS, ya know? But thank you for your words. I needed to hear them from someone else. I'd be saying the same thing to someone, were the situation reversed. But when you're in that position, your resolve crumbles sometimes lol.

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting AngryBob:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:07 AM
I will! Where is he? Hopefully he takes our ins.

Quoting Kitsun:

Text me tomorrow and I'll give you the number to our pedi..he's a hell of a drive out, but worth it. He's the one that helped get CPS off our backs and tried to help me continue nursing the baby.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes a baby can get strep throat. There are dozens of other reasons to take children in for well child exams that don't include vaccinations. Screenings for diseases that parents are unaware of being the most important. However, there is nothing you can do about the past and whatever the dr may say to you about that is irrelevant. What's important is finding out if you have strep and getting treated. If baby is just coughing and congested, it sounds like a cold. If it gets worse, give the office a call and they will likely want to see him. No need stressing about what you coulda woulda shoulda done. You are a concerned mother and are doing the right thing. Keep us updated.
AngryBob
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Quoting stepconfused182:

Yes a baby can get strep throat. There are dozens of other reasons to take children in for well child exams that don't include vaccinations. Screenings for diseases that parents are unaware of being the most important. However, there is nothing you can do about the past and whatever the dr may say to you about that is irrelevant. What's important is finding out if you have strep and getting treated. If baby is just coughing and congested, it sounds like a cold. If it gets worse, give the office a call and they will likely want to see him. No need stressing about what you coulda woulda shoulda done. You are a concerned mother and are doing the right thing. Keep us updated.

the newborn screening is what i felt most bad about. i just didn't want to seem like a neglectful mother. it's been hard for me to walk, and like i said, i have three small children, so an outing is a huge ordeal.

thank you for your words, i really appreciate them.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
It's pretty rare for a baby to get strep, their tonsils are just to tiny. I wouldn't worry too much. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)