Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

can babies get strep throat?

Posted by   + Show Post

i think i have strep. sore throat for a couple of days, and now i have a white spot on the back on my throat. i've had it before. but no fever, i think that's weird. but i am going tomorrow to see the doctor.

i have a five month old, and he has been coughing lately, and is a little congested. i did some searching on google (ohmygosh it's cancer and we're all gonna die!!!! lol), and it said the more cold symptoms there are, such as a runny nose, the less likely that it's strep.

i'm still worried. he's never had any immunizations except for what he had at the hospital, because i delay vax. my oldest had the pneumonia vaccine (i didn't want it, but dh convinced me), and she and i both got pneumonia, and she stayed at twelve pounds for three months, and the doctor really freaked me out. he sent us to a gastroenterologist, and had me supplement her diet with formula, the kind that they give NICU babies to boost her weight. the whole ordeal was really upsetting. i got the measels AND the mumps after getting the MMR as a kid, so i'm very careful about which vaccines.

so what do i do? i know if i take antibiotics, i can get thrush, right? or is that the baby? i've never had to take antibiotics while pregnant, so i'm really worried. i know that my breast milk is immune boosting, but he obviously got sick anyway.

i'm also worried that any doctor will look at him and wonder why i haven't vaccined him. i'm worried about taking a sick baby that hasn't had vaccines in, and having the doctor freak out over it. but i do know that strep is scary unless treated. i had it once, and thought it was the flu, and i broke out in a rash, and now i'm allergic to the cold - every time i touch something cold, i break out again.

sorry it's all over the place, i haven't gotten much sleep the last couple of days, and now i'm freaking out. i was really hoping it wasn't strep.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

They can get it, but if you are nursing probably not. If you have strep you need antibiotics. It can get into your heart if left untreated. Good luck

AngryBob
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

They can get it, but if you are nursing probably not. If you have strep you need antibiotics. It can get into your heart if left untreated. Good luck

i know! it's scary stuff. thank you so much for your reply!

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Why did he have a pneumonia vax? That's for elderly over age 65.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Quoting kitty8199:

the pneumoccocial or whatever it's called. they get like three boosters. i didn't want the first one, but dh convinced me. i've opted out of the other boosters for her, and my son has never had one. the baby has only had the ones they give you in the hospital, hep b i think it is. i don't get the flu or H1N1 ever.

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Read the package insert. Its a lie on that one.
Its the same bacteria that causes meningitis or pneumonia, but a different strain. (one of the thousands of causes, those are symptoms of disease not a disease itself).
Prevnar protects against otitis media.that's right, ear infections.
Read the passage insert of vaccines. Not the paper from the dr, but the actual insert.
You'll see the true risks, and what it actually does, not what they tell you.
Dtap lists SIDS as a possible complication. Doubt your dr told you that did he?

Hep B is transmitted through.sex and dirty needles

Quoting AngryBob:

Quoting kitty8199:

the pneumoccocial or whatever it's called. they get like three boosters. i didn't want the first one, but dh convinced me. i've opted out of the other boosters for her, and my son has never had one. the baby has only had the ones they give you in the hospital, hep b i think it is. i don't get the flu or H1N1 ever.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Quoting kitty8199:

Its the same bacteria that causes meningitis or pneumonia, but a different strain. (one of the thousands of causes, those are symptoms of disease not a disease itself).
Read the passage insert of vaccines. Not the paper from the dr, but the actual insert.
Quoting AngryBob:

oh i know. i'm not completely anti-vax, but i'm very selective, and very careful about what i put in their bodies. i believe in the power of modern medicine - i mean, polio is almost completely eradicated! but i also know they've got some funky stuff in there!

and NO i didn't know that about dtap! that's why i wait a little while before having their vaccines. i hate feeling paranoid, but it's what my gut is telling me.

still, i should have taken him in for the newborn screening. the hospital kept sending me bills for some reason, when my insurance should have taken care of it. i'm at the point where i do one thing a day. i don't run more than one errand, and i don't run errands the days i'm working (i have a part-time job). i didn't even work at all when i was pregnant, i was in too much pain. a lot of the times, i used my late mil's handicap sign, or even the motorized carts in the store. dh has helped out soo much, but there's only so much we can handle.

i just worry about some idiot doctor thinking he's god and that we shouldn't have kids, because we didn't take him in, and the other two are behind "their" schedule, ya feels me?

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Polio is another "scary" disease that isn't.
Look up ANY source.
95% of the time polio has no symptoms at all, or cold like symptoms.
Only 2% have limb weakness, and 2% of that 2% have permanent paralysis or weakness.
So .04% have problems.
Another fear pushed vaccine for a not so scary disease when you're told normal presentation, not just theextremely rare complications.
Quoting AngryBob:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting AngryBob:

oh i know. i'm not completely anti-vax, but i'm very selective, and very careful about what i put in their bodies. i believe in the power of modern medicine - i mean, polio is almost completely eradicated! but i also know they've got some funky stuff in there!

and NO i didn't know that about dtap! that's why i wait a little while before having their vaccines. i hate feeling paranoid, but it's what my gut is telling me.

still, i should have taken him in for the newborn screening. the hospital kept sending me bills for some reason, when my insurance should have taken care of it. i'm at the point where i do one thing a day. i don't run more than one errand, and i don't run errands the days i'm working (i have a part-time job). i didn't even work at all when i was pregnant, i was in too much pain. a lot of the times, i used my late mil's handicap sign, or even the motorized carts in the store. dh has helped out soo much, but there's only so much we can handle.

i just worry about some idiot doctor thinking he's god and that we shouldn't have kids, because we didn't take him in, and the other two are behind "their" schedule, ya feels me?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ruffnekwife87
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Children under 1yr of age rarely get strep. When my dd was 6mons old I got strep and a really bad case of it. We were camping so I was many many miles away from a doc. When we finally left I had no voice, I could not breath and I felt like I was dying, the first thing I asked my doc and pedi was if there was a chance my baby could have gotten it to she said it was VERY unlikely. I would not worry to much
stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Just an FYI.... I have had several infants test positive for strep. It's very possible. So, even though it's unlikely, its still VERY important that you take precautions to prevent your baby from getting it from you if you test positive. While it is true that their tonsils are very small, that just means its unlikely that will be the source of the strep. It is more likely found in the airway and nasal passages. After all, it's possible for a person without tonsils to get strep.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
As others have said, try not to worry about what others will think. You know what is best for you and your family. Get checked out and take care of yourself. What you describe of your baby's symptoms, it sounds like a cold or maybe even allergies. If you get antibiotics, taking probiotics can help prevent thrush in you and the baby. If you do end up with thrush, it can be relieved with natural and over the counter remedies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)