Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

6 weeks and counting!!

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:28 AM
  • 10 Replies
We've made it 6 weeks exclusively breast feeding! Things have been going pretty well. He weighed 11 pounds at his last doctor appointment. The doctor thinks he might be over eating a little and I'm having a little trouble getting him on a steady schedule but it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. He spits up a lot even if I burp him a lot though. (Part of why his pedi thinks he's overeating). But I'm hoping things continue to get better and we can keep doing this for a few more months.
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Spitting up is normal, especially the first few months. Are you bottle feeding? Or exclusively feeding from the breast? If you are just nursing, do not worry about over feeding. You can't over feed an EBF baby. As far as schedules go, throw them out. Nurse baby on cue. Congrats on 6 weeks!

babylove041810
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:46 AM
I'm ebf. The doctor is only worried about his spitting up because it tends to be a lot and with every feeding. And the over eating because he's gaining weight twice as fast as he's supposed to. I'm not too worried though. He's gaining weight despite all the spitting up.
I'm only concerned with a schedule because sometimes he likes to eat every 30 minutes or so for a 2-3 hour period. And other times he goes 2-4 hours without eating at all.

Quoting littlelambe2:

Spitting up is normal, especially the first few months. Are you bottle feeding? Or exclusively feeding from the breast? If you are just nursing, do not worry about over feeding. You can't over feed an EBF baby. As far as schedules go, throw them out. Nurse baby on cue. Congrats on 6 weeks!

LHummel
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:56 AM

My daughter was the same weight at that age. She was EBF and spit up everytime she ate. Did the doctor actually see the amount of spit up? Or is just basing it off what you described? I thought my dd was spitting up alot but the doctors said she was doing fine and no reason to worry because she was gaining so well. Now they say she doesnt weigh enough UGH because she is so energetic and is non-stop all day I swear she burns everything she eats.  Have you ever pumped? You could just be like me a "freak" who produces 6 oz. When I pumped I would get that much. So maybe they are not used to seeing a EBF gain so well. 

Congratulations on 6 weeks! Great job mama! 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 1, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Never mind schedules. They're not needed. You may have a bit of oversupply or fast letdown. You can find info on kellymom.com about both of these.

TRS4
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM

lelacha league www.lli.org is the best place for finding support and info Dr never seem to be happy my baby is 7 weeks and dr says she should have hit 11lb at 6weeks she 3lbs under that

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM
You want to average a pound a month from the lowest weight, not the birth rate. You want 6-8 diapers per day. Weight gain is often in spurts. Schedules are annoying. Nurse in demand, and don't worry about what the doctor says. Perhaps print some articles from kellymom.com so that all of the doctor's breastfeeding information does not come from the formula company,ol!
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM

You may have a fast letdown or a lot of supply. That will even out over time. Breastfeed babies tend to pack on the weight faster during the first 6 months, then slow down more so during the last 6 months. Babies will gain at their own rate. I wouldn't worry too much unless there was a real issue. Is your baby bothered by the spit up? Both my babies were awesome spit-uppers for the first 3-4 months. There was no issues. I just have a lot of milk and my letdown is a little over zealous at times. 

Quoting babylove041810:

I'm ebf. The doctor is only worried about his spitting up because it tends to be a lot and with every feeding. And the over eating because he's gaining weight twice as fast as he's supposed to. I'm not too worried though. He's gaining weight despite all the spitting up.
I'm only concerned with a schedule because sometimes he likes to eat every 30 minutes or so for a 2-3 hour period. And other times he goes 2-4 hours without eating at all.

Quoting littlelambe2:

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM

You probably have a bit of overactive letdown or oversupply right now.  That will settle down as your supply regulates.  You cannot overfeed a baby at the breast, though you can do it with breastmilk in a bottle.

Don't think about or worry about schedules--they're a great recipe for causing babies to be failure to thrive.  Feed him when he's hungry, don't force him when he's not, period.  He knows what he needs and how to tell your breasts exactly what he needs at any moment.

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting littlelambe2:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM
This! Try reclined nursing to see if it helps with the spitting up.
Read this.
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Quoting K8wizzo:

You probably have a bit of overactive letdown or oversupply right now.  That will settle down as your supply regulates.  You cannot overfeed a baby at the breast, though you can do it with breastmilk in a bottle.

Don't think about or worry about schedules--they're a great recipe for causing babies to be failure to thrive.  Feed him when he's hungry, don't force him when he's not, period.  He knows what he needs and how to tell your breasts exactly what he needs at any moment.

Quoting babylove041810:

Quoting littlelambe2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Quoting TRS4: La Leche League  http://www.lli.org/  is the best place for finding support and info

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN