Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
The question is : if my nipples are not sore and baby gaining tons of weight, do I have to fix the latch?

Other info: ds now 1 month. We continue to struggle thru oversupply/OAL on 6-8 hr block feeding. He feeds for 10 min a session with a really bad latch - he breaks suction a few times a minute and often it seems he is just on the nipple, or maybe a tad more. He slips off very easily. If I take away boob and try 4 a better latch, as many times as the latch gets bad, he gets MAD and screams and won't latch at all.
I have a sense, but don't really know, that he is gaining TONS of weight simply by opening is mouth, doing a weak sucks, and letting my oversupply pour in his mouth . Obviously he is getting enough calories with what we are doing.
SO if my nipples are fine and he is gaining weight with his poor technique, do I have to keep trying to get him to latch better?

I guess the concern is in 4 months, if my supply regulates, will he b able to figure out latching and better sucking then?
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Replies (11-11):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM
I'm thinking that you may need to pump or hand express before latching to relieve the initial letdown for the first feeding on the new side. Only do this as needed so you're not prolonging the oversupply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)