Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal???

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM
  • 13 Replies

My little man is three weeks old tomorrow and was born at 36.3weeks weighed in at 5lb 5oz  no problems and came home with me three days after c-section and has gained 16oz in the three weeks. He is BF but added a 2oz bottle of formula three times a day after nursing (he usually doesn't finish he just cant hold it all). The pediatrician added the formula to fight a slight case of jaundice which he overcame but told me to keep it up so we could put some weight on him. He seems to be happy and wants to nurse every two to three hours just like he should and had plenty of wet diapers but when it comes to poop diapers it is only every three days right when I start to worry (about the third day) he does a diaper full. I have looked at all the info on line and its my understanding this is not enough but he is gaining and he seems to be satisfied does not cry with constipation. Just wondering what you Moms think he has a Pediatrician app. tomorrow but I value the experience of you Moms just as much if not more than his pediatrician.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Formula can be very constipating. I would consider trying a different brand or stopping all together. 2oz is a full feeding!!
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I would stop the formula.
Eliots_momma
by Jessica on May. 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM
The formula isn't needed.

In my experience many pediatrician's don't know much about bf in general.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on May. 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Formula not needed whatsoever. 2oz is a full feeding, all it's doing is stretching his little belly. Breastmilk has more fat and calories than formula. Just nurse on demand, his diaper count will tell you how much he's getting and breastfed babies only need to gain 4-6oz a week (averaging to about a pound a month) from their *lowest* birth weight.
I'd suggest looking for a more knowledgeable doc. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

One pound in three weeks is a LOT of weight... the pediatrician seems to have mistaken your child for a lamb for slaughter. 

Dump the formula. And I'd dump the ped. Baby is HEAVIER than expected right now.

Expected weight pattern: Loss of 10-12% of birth weight in week one. Gain of 4-6 ounces per week after that. So the expected pattern for your child:

Birth 5/5 (85 ounces)

LOWEST 74.8 ounces to 76.5 ounces 

Week TWO 78.8 ounces to 82.5 ounces

Week THREE  82.8 ounces to 88.5 ounces

Week FOUR 86.8 ounces to 94.5 ounces.

At max I'd expect him to be 12 ounces over lowest weight right now, and nowhere near a pound over BIRTH weight.

Kayla-Kay2
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I had this same problem with my daughters ped! She was born at 43 wks 2 days weighing in at 9lbs 12oz and a small case of jaundice an they to had suggested formula. In my experience since I did not use the formula was that she did just fine on breast milk and we also spent time in the sunshine sinc it helps to break down the bilirubin naturally (again something I argued with the ped about) now my daughter is 6 months old 16# and 3oz and happy as a breastfeed baby could be my son on the other hand was my first so I totally bought into formula is best pitch his ped have is at the hospital with his jaundice and poor gooby suffered so much constipation straight out of the gate even with me nursing him colostrum he was just miserable. We fought through collic and gurd and miserable long nights now looking back I totally place the culprit on the formula not as the ped suggested "genetics" hope everything works out for you I think a good place to seek real life hands on help is with your local Llc who would be able to give you more insight since each baby is different and unique :) hugs mama and keep your head up everything will work out :)
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Formula does not clear jaundice--breastmilk does a better job. The formula can cause lots of problems. Your baby is gaining better than expected! Just nurse on demand, no schedules, no bottles. Enjoy!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Good grief. Time to get rid of the pediatrician. That was terrible advice he gave you. Dump the formula and fire the doctor. 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 1, 2013 at 3:17 PM
This! Since you had a C-section, I would be looking at the weight from the lowest given here (74.8 ounces).
Your doctor gave you incorrect advice that can ruin your breastfeeding relationship.

Quoting gdiamante:

One pound in three weeks is a LOT of weight... the pediatrician seems to have mistaken your child for a lamb for slaughter. 

Dump the formula. And I'd dump the ped. Baby is HEAVIER than expected right now.

Expected weight pattern: Loss of 10-12% of birth weight in week one. Gain of 4-6 ounces per week after that. So the expected pattern for your child:

Birth 5/5 (85 ounces)

LOWEST 74.8 ounces to 76.5 ounces 

Week TWO 78.8 ounces to 82.5 ounces

Week THREE  82.8 ounces to 88.5 ounces

Week FOUR 86.8 ounces to 94.5 ounces.

At max I'd expect him to be 12 ounces over lowest weight right now, and nowhere near a pound over BIRTH weight.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Formula generally causes constipation and makes jaundice worse because it stays in baby system longer. I would look for a new ped or stop taking their advice on things that aren't directly medical. Pediatricians are not trained in infant nutrition and still think in terms of formula fed babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)