Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Solids???

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 16 Replies
I'm not ready to start solids yet but I'm wondering when did everyone start solids with your LO? And what made you start them? How did you decide your LO was ready?
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM
We start after 6 months. He needs to be sitting up on his own,gain pincer grasp, and lose his tongue thrust.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM
He was a tiny bit older than six months and he was able to put food into his mouth. He had been able to do that for a while, but we waited until 6 months to give him food. Up until then he had just been picking at the carpet and having stuff taken away from him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM
We started at six months but didn't force it. At nine months he started standing in front of us reaching while we were eating so now he eats off of our plates usually for lunch and dinner.
MommaTasha1003
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I waited until after 6mo ..... Tried home-made baby food for about 2 months but he wasnt having it, then one day I was curious & got jarred food from the store & he ate it up! He is now almost 1yo & gags on anything that is not 100% pureed babyfood --- I cant even make his food at home because I cant get it smooth enough :( ... I have to buy organic baby food at the store...

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting MommaTasha1003:

I waited until after 6mo ..... Tried home-made baby food for about 2 months but he wasnt having it, then one day I was curious & got jarred food from the store & he ate it up! He is now almost 1yo & gags on anything that is not 100% pureed babyfood --- I cant even make his food at home because I cant get it smooth enough :( ... I have to buy organic baby food at the store...

This would seem to be outside the norm--does he have oral issues?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM
We did baby-led solids. Kellymom.com has an excellent article with the what, when and how of starting solids.
MommaTasha1003
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM

What do you mean?

I think he has a really strong gag reflex.. He accepts any food I put into his mouth, but when he swallow he gags & might even throw up.... One thing we have noticed is its RARE he puts anything in his mouth.. Most babies you have to watch with toys, not him! There are only very few toys he likes to teeth on, but thats it...

I plan on taking him to the Peditrician after his birthday to get their opinion.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

This would seem to be outside the norm--does he have oral issues?

Sunflower_rn
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM

So I am going to get bashed but we started at 5 months. She was nursing literally NONSTOP and was very interested while at the dinner table to a point where i couldnt eat my husband and I would have to take turns and I would have to hide and eat. She would grab utensils etc.  Yes it sounds silly. She has always been a ravenous eater but as she has grown so does her appetite. She is mainly breastfed with only bottlefeeding breastmilk 3 days a week while I work. I had overproduction and I think that is what led to her eating so much, she is used to VOLUME lol. I still overproduce pumping 6 oz every 2-3 hours while I am away at work or in the am AFTER i have fed her and before I go to work. But generally I would say around the six months mark for most, just in our case it was a bit sooner.

CrazeeCat007
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM
My mom started 3 of 4 of us at 5mos but my older brother was started on a little bit of rice cereal at 3mos cuz he would eat every half hour!!! My son tries all the time to grab any food he can. The other day my mom was holding him while eating ice cream and he kept trying to grab her spoon or grab the container and he has been doing this to everyone who has food while holding him for the last month and a half. He has stopped trying to push things out of his mouth, I found this out by giving him some breast milk in one of his spoons about a month ago. The last time I pumped it was after feeding him and I got about 6/7oz out of it. That's not normal??? Lol

Quoting Sunflower_rn:

So I am going to get bashed but we started at 5 months. She was nursing literally NONSTOP and was very interested while at the dinner table to a point where i couldnt eat my husband and I would have to take turns and I would have to hide and eat. She would grab utensils etc.  Yes it sounds silly. She has always been a ravenous eater but as she has grown so does her appetite. She is mainly breastfed with only bottlefeeding breastmilk 3 days a week while I work. I had overproduction and I think that is what led to her eating so much, she is used to VOLUME lol. I still overproduce pumping 6 oz every 2-3 hours while I am away at work or in the am AFTER i have fed her and before I go to work. But generally I would say around the six months mark for most, just in our case it was a bit sooner.

TTC2Long
by Gina on May. 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Started homemade purees at 7 months. He liked them, but gagged easily, so I backed off. He was ready at 12 months, so I started bls then. That worked much better!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)