Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not ready to start solids yet but I'm wondering when did everyone start solids with your LO? And what made you start them? How did you decide your LO was ready?
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Replies (11-16):
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Mine were between 7-8 months.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM

We started around 8 or 9 months and did BLS. Baby should be atleast 6 months, able to situp on their own, use a pincher grasp, and lost their tongue thrust reflex. No need for rice cereal. There is more nutrition in the box it comes in and it taste about the same. No need for purees. If baby is truly ready for solids, they don't need purees. Just give small pieces of fresh fruits, veggies, and meat or even whatever you are eating(obviously within reason). 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 1, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I started after 6 months with both of my boys.
The readiness signs to watch for are the baby is at least 6 months old, can sit up unassisted, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and has a pincer grasp for self feeding. My second was happy with a spoon and an empty cup to play with when he started grabbing while we were eating.
http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM
2 moms liked this

That sounds like it could be either an oral-motor or oral-sensory issue (or perhaps both, though sensory seems to be the stronger issue).  Call your county's Early Intervention office and request an evaluation.  Speech therapists and occupational therapists work with these kinds of things all the time and even if he doesn't qualify for services, they could still give you lots of suggestions on ways to help him.  My son was the same way and finally graduated from speech therapy last year.  It affected not only his eating but also his speech and his sensory processing disorder has affected a lot of different areas of his/our lives.  Learning coping strategies has been huge in that regard.

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

What do you mean?

I think he has a really strong gag reflex.. He accepts any food I put into his mouth, but when he swallow he gags & might even throw up.... One thing we have noticed is its RARE he puts anything in his mouth.. Most babies you have to watch with toys, not him! There are only very few toys he likes to teeth on, but thats it...

I plan on taking him to the Peditrician after his birthday to get their opinion.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

I waited until after 6mo ..... Tried home-made baby food for about 2 months but he wasnt having it, then one day I was curious & got jarred food from the store & he ate it up! He is now almost 1yo & gags on anything that is not 100% pureed babyfood --- I cant even make his food at home because I cant get it smooth enough :( ... I have to buy organic baby food at the store...

This would seem to be outside the norm--does he have oral issues?

Dibsy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Quoting Sunflower_rn:

So I am going to get bashed but we started at 5 months. She was nursing literally NONSTOP and was very interested while at the dinner table to a point where i couldnt eat my husband and I would have to take turns and I would have to hide and eat. She would grab utensils etc.  Yes it sounds silly. She has always been a ravenous eater but as she has grown so does her appetite. She is mainly breastfed with only bottlefeeding breastmilk 3 days a week while I work. I had overproduction and I think that is what led to her eating so much, she is used to VOLUME lol. I still overproduce pumping 6 oz every 2-3 hours while I am away at work or in the am AFTER i have fed her and before I go to work. But generally I would say around the six months mark for most, just in our case it was a bit sooner.

i started my son at 5 months also. He did the same thing, I couldn't eat and my husband and I had to take turns, and he'd constantly grab at my plate. So one day I have him carrots and he loved it- couldn't get enough. In my opinion babies will let you know when they're ready. He's 7 months now and I can give him anything and he will eat it. He'll even take pickles and lemons and loves it. I do still breastfed him though.
{Dibs the Pixi Stix Fiend}
bebe_ju-rah
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM
With dd I introduced them at 4 months. This time I'll do bls so after 6 months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)