Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

donating milk

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:02 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have a 3 month old who is sick with an upper resp infection. He has very nicely shared this with me. I have over production and he has had  issues because of heavy let down. So I have started pumping and freezing for a local mom who just recently adoptes 2 kids under 1 year old. I have been pumping about 4-6 oz every morning. With us being sick is there any reason not to send the milk I have pumped while sick? 

by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope - the milk won't make them sick.

Dibsy
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM
My doctor always told me that you get sick before you show signs or symptoms, and so what you have will be what your baby has (don't know if that's applicable since you're not really handling the other moms child) but in any case, they need the antibodies in the milk after they also get sick so it's generally always best to just keep giving them milk, especially if you're sick.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Yep!

Quoting SadieJames:

Nope - the milk won't make them sick.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 2, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Btw you're awesome for donating! I'm in a long term donor relationship right now.  My milk baby isn't even born yet lol.  The mom is also an amom and she is inducing lactation but needs milk for a SNS.  Milk sharing rocks!

Emschick38
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Is there anytime you wouldnt give milk? If i go out for a drink or two and pump while drunk its a dump. But are there other times you wouldnt offer the milk?
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM

A drink or two is fine - safe to drive = safe to nurse (or donate).  Buzzed/drunk is different but I've had a glass of wine while pumping (or nursing).  

Drunk is about it - but I'm the sole caregiver for my baby so I'm not drinking excess right now.  Thrush (if you get it) can be transferred through frozen milk as well so keep thrush away! : )

Quoting Emschick38:

Is there anytime you wouldnt give milk? If i go out for a drink or two and pump while drunk its a dump. But are there other times you wouldnt offer the milk?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)