Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wisdom teeth and BF

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM
  • 7 Replies
So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get my wisdom teeth taken out! (Which I'm ridiculously nervous about). Since I'm breastfeeding what is the norm for having the procedure done? I'd like to avoid it all together but my entire face hurts and I'm getting headaches :-( and just what was your overall experience like getting them taken out. I know right off one of mine on the bottom is impacted so that scares me!
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 2, 2013 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Have milk ready for the time you'll be away from baby. Nurse when you're together - it's that easy : ) no pumping and dumping.  Look up meds on lactmed, the dr will most likely CYA and say you can't but you can. If you're going under you can nurse when you can hold baby.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Sorry, I haven't had teeth pulled since I was a kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WritingSpider
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Ask Dr Jack Newman. He is a world renowned breastfeeding doctor and worked as the cheif pedi at the Toronto Hospital for 30-40 years. I have MS and take MANY medicines wihile feeding. Your doctor will likely tell you no but that is just because they don't know much about breastmilk. When in doubt - say no. But the truth is no matter what you take very little of it passes through the milk and a lot of the meds have molecules far too large to even pass into milk. There is a link below for Jack. He has a free questions page. He gets back to you quickly.

www.breastfeedinginc.ca 

So like Sadie said. I would venture to say it would be absolutely fine.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM
http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/dentalwork/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairymaid23
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM
i had my top wisdom teeth removed. both were already above gum line. they used novacane n numbed me real good n pulled em both. i only took 2 of the hydrocodine they gave me. pharmacist said it was ok. i do kno how they pull them depends how long u go without breastfeeding. Novacane is fine to breastfeed after. if u get the gas then u wait till u no longer feel it 2-4 hrs. but if they put u under then they say to wait 24hrs. thats y i opted for novacane.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM
You were told incorrect information. There is no need to wait to nurse once you can safely hold your baby. The link that I posted above has the correct information.

Quoting fairymaid23:

i had my top wisdom teeth removed. both were already above gum line. they used novacane n numbed me real good n pulled em both. i only took 2 of the hydrocodine they gave me. pharmacist said it was ok. i do kno how they pull them depends how long u go without breastfeeding. Novacane is fine to breastfeed after. if u get the gas then u wait till u no longer feel it 2-4 hrs. but if they put u under then they say to wait 24hrs. thats y i opted for novacane.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on May. 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I had mine out when my son was about 6 months old - - nurse while you're together, have pumped milk ready for the time you are apart, and nurse when you get home again  :)  The meds they use are safe - the meds for knocking you out (if you get put under) are out of your system by the time you wake up enough to hold baby (otherwise you'd still be sleeping. . . . )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)