Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Growth spurt?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM
  • 5 Replies
So my LO will be 6 weeks old tomorrow and the past few nights I've noticed she gets fussy in the evenings. During the day she'll go about 2-3 hours in between feedings but at night she gets fussy about every hour. We change, rock, sing, check for strings wrapped around anything but nothing works until I feed her. Is this a growth spurt and if so how long do they usually last? Am I overfeeding her because she is only BF right now?
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Omg 6 weeks was the worst growth spurt. We're at 4 months now and coming up on another bad one I think.  Her 6 week one lasted about a week? And nope, nursing on demand means you're not over feeding : ) and I would feed at any and all fussiness.  I've found the longer I tried to "put off" nursing the worse the session was.

Gabsmom0321
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Thank you. I'll keep that in mind because it breaks my heart to hear my LO cry so hard and I don't know how to make her feel better. My Pediatrician got it in my head to not feed on demand because then it could lead to "snacking".

Quoting SadieJames:

Omg 6 weeks was the worst growth spurt. We're at 4 months now and coming up on another bad one I think.  Her 6 week one lasted about a week? And nope, nursing on demand means you're not over feeding : ) and I would feed at any and all fussiness.  I've found the longer I tried to "put off" nursing the worse the session was.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Babies are supposed to snack at the breast. That's how they grow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 2, 2013 at 2:23 AM
This is a normal newborn phase. You can't overfeed a breastfed baby.
http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Gabsmom0321:

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind because it breaks my heart to hear my LO cry so hard and I don't know how to make her feel better. My Pediatrician got it in my head to not feed on demand because then it could lead to "snacking".

Aren't we, as adults, told that 6 small meals a day are healthier than 3 large ones? 

Some mamas might feel better feeding on a schedule.  Few babies would agree...

P.S.  I worry about what other misinformation your Pedi is spouting.  :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)