Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is there a 17 month growth spurt?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM
  • 5 Replies
DD will be 17 months on Tuesday and for the past week, she has been nursing constantly. She wants to nurse every 15 minutes and she'll stay latched on as long as I let her stay there. She's also eating a ton of solids, which she's never done before. Even with all the solids, she's nursing so much that she's having newborn level, EBF looking poops...except toddler sized, lol. Is this a normal growth spurt stage or something else? I don't remember my oldest daughter going through this stage.
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Yes she is preparing for a growth spurt! There is not set time they do this. They don't look at a calendar and think oooh I'm almost 18 months old, better act like it! :) This sporadic eating pattern is seen all througout childhood. But, as a breastfeeding mom, it can be exhausting!

Crob4
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM
This is new territory for me because my oldest has never went through a noticeable growth spurt once she passed infancy. I think this growth spurt is more draining that the 3 or 6 week spurt, I'm even feeling engorged again if she doesn't nurse at least once an hour.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Yes she is preparing for a growth spurt! There is not set time they do this. They don't look at a calendar and think oooh I'm almost 18 months old, better act like it! :) This sporadic eating pattern is seen all througout childhood. But, as a breastfeeding mom, it can be exhausting!

stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Oh for sure! It's extremely draining. My dd did this a lot and she's almost 2 now and will go through periods of not wanting to eat much of anything to eating me out of the house the very next day. This happens all the way until adulthood is reached. Very normal.

Quoting Crob4:

This is new territory for me because my oldest has never went through a noticeable growth spurt once she passed infancy. I think this growth spurt is more draining that the 3 or 6 week spurt, I'm even feeling engorged again if she doesn't nurse at least once an hour.

Quoting stepconfused182:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Oh my gosh! My boys are 11 & 5 and it seems like they're in constant growth spurt mode! My oldest comes home from school and will eat everything in sight until he goes to bed.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Oh for sure! It's extremely draining. My dd did this a lot and she's almost 2 now and will go through periods of not wanting to eat much of anything to eating me out of the house the very next day. This happens all the way until adulthood is reached. Very normal.

Quoting Crob4:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I bet! I haven't needed a garbage disposal ever since my stepson turned 10 years old. :)

Quoting aehanrahan:

Oh my gosh! My boys are 11 & 5 and it seems like they're in constant growth spurt mode! My oldest comes home from school and will eat everything in sight until he goes to bed.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting Crob4:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN