Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

For those who skip purees

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM
mel
  • 23 Replies

When if ever did you spoon feed them? Anything from soup/yogurt/icecream etc.

Ellie is 13mo and when she is rarely spoon fed most of it comes out all over her clothes. Its like when she closes her mouth it comes spewing out. Her early intervention girl wanted to see so we showed her and she said that it could be related to her tongue tie or just an extremely immature feeding behavior (like brand new to foods immature)

Just curious if this is something other moms have seen with their kiddos that follow bls?b

We have our speech therapy appointment today and i'm sure they'll have an opinion as well.

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JMmama
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM
We do BLS and once they get the hang of self feeding I will spoon feed things like yogurt, soup, ice cream, etc. Probably right at about a year. My kids have never done what you are describing.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Never had that issue... Have had 3 self feeders.
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on May. 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

same for us.

Quoting JMmama:

We do BLS and once they get the hang of self feeding I will spoon feed things like yogurt, soup, ice cream, etc. Probably right at about a year. My kids have never done what you are describing.

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM
So would what I'm seeing be more likely related to something else (possibly but not entirely a ptt)?
audmom1218
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM
We let her self feed, and no problems once its too her mouth. (She has a tendency to tip her spoon before it hits her mouth). I agree that ei should look into it.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Aiden always has a little come back out if it's something mushy. Idk if it's because of his TT or because he doesn't care for mushy foods.he's 10.5 Months
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Does he have a anterior or posterior tongue tie?

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Aiden always has a little come back out if it's something mushy. Idk if it's because of his TT or because he doesn't care for mushy foods.he's 10.5 Months

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on May. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I'm guessing posterior. We have medicaid so we cannot see an ENT without a referral. It was first spotted by the ibclc at the hospital, and his pedi confirmed but never said what kind. She just said "it's not bad enough to clip". He also gags on solids easily because he cannot move them around the way he needs to with his tongue.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Does he have a anterior or posterior tongue tie?

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM

We didn't have that problem with Nathan.  Andy did it (and he was on purees until he was about 15 months, generally unable to handle chunks or pieces of food until then).  He had/has a ptt, low tone, and sensory processing disorder.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Heh. My husband has food mostly go all over his clothes when he uses a spoon too. **grin**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN