Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Fruit & Veggies

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM
  • 9 Replies
So I've basically cut veggies out of my diet... The only one I've been eating is carrots because the other main veggies I'd eat caused my son really painful gas... (I mainly likes broccoli, cauliflower, onions...)

So in my attempt to improve my diet, I've cut out fast food, tried to decrease dairy since that was possibly causing my son issues also, increased fruit (mainly bananas, oranges, strawberries)

So now it seems my son is really gassy again... Is he just a gassy kid maybe? Or could the fruit be causing it? I really want to keep breastfeeding! I have a good enough supply to feed him, but I just can't get my diet right to not give him gas issues! I feel like if I can't get this right, his pedi is going to start pushing formula...

Any suggestions???
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SadieJames
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Does he gulp when nursing? Or do you have OAL/OS? I think those are more common culprits than what we eat.

Radellia
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM
OAL/OS??

Quoting SadieJames:

Does he gulp when nursing? Or do you have OAL/OS? I think those are more common culprits than what we eat.

SadieJames
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Over active letdown/oversupply : ) 

does your milk spray or do you have A LOT of milk?

Quoting Radellia:

OAL/OS??

Quoting SadieJames:

Radellia
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I don't think so on either... If he pops off, I hardly ever spray. I don't think I have too much supply either... I hardly ever even feel full unless its been several hours between feeds such as at night (which is actually when he eats the best)

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting Radellia:

OAL/OS??

Quoting SadieJames:

Analugojana
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM

The major culprit is usually dairy not veggies. Soy can also be adding to the problem. How are his poops? Does he seem bothered by the gas? My dd was gassy in the first 3 months but then it resolved. If there's a reaction to dairy you will need to cut ALL dairy, even very hidden ones and you'll see results in about 2 weeks to 4 weeks.

Tell us about his diapers (dirties).

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM
It is actually very rare for something the mom eats to cause gassiness in the baby. Here is a great article that explains the causes of gassiness with links to help.
http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/gassybaby/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dibsy
by on May. 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM
It doesn't fix the cause, but maybe you could try gas drops to see if that helps? I never really had to use them for my son but my MIL swore by them and brought me a ton just in case.
Radellia
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM
He poops every day, usually twice in the morning, sometimes more later in the day... He's been very gassy lately also, you can tell how uncomfortable he is before he poops

Quoting Analugojana:

The major culprit is usually dairy not veggies. Soy can also be adding to the problem. How are his poops? Does he seem bothered by the gas? My dd was gassy in the first 3 months but then it resolved. If there's a reaction to dairy you will need to cut ALL dairy, even very hidden ones and you'll see results in about 2 weeks to 4 weeks.

Tell us about his diapers (dirties).

LyndollyCarlos
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Is sparying bad when I pump my milk sparys sorry I'm new to this

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting Radellia:

OAL/OS??

Quoting SadieJames:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN