Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Advil Cold & Sinus????

Posted by on May. 5, 2007 at 6:22 PM
  • 5 Replies

My husband brought some kind of infection home from work! Ugh!  and I have it now.. Feels like a sinus infection.  Can I take Advil Cold & Sinus while Breastfeeding? 

by on May. 5, 2007 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Spring4398
by on May. 5, 2007 at 6:24 PM
I don't know but I have an awful sinus head cold right now and was just wondering the same thing!  I'll be checking back. . . .
MamaPixie
by on May. 5, 2007 at 6:33 PM
 I don't believe so, i think anything with an antihistamine you run the risk of i t drying up you milk.....I'm not 100% just be careful! Hope you feel better!!!
mommyjen1980
by on May. 5, 2007 at 7:36 PM
I have extremely bad sinuses.  I take Advil Cold & Sinus on occasion.  It can dry your milk up because it has a drying affect for drying up congestion.  It is ok for you to take.  There are no bad affects on baby.  Only traces of it go into your milk.  You would need to drink twice the fluids that you do now when taking it because of the drying affect because naturally if it dries up congestion, it will dry up your milk if you don't double up on fluids.  I would double up on fluids.  Advil Cold & Sinus has been my friend throughout my nursing time.  

Hope you get to feeling better.  I hate having sinus headaches, congestion, etc. 
Mothergoods
by on May. 5, 2007 at 7:55 PM
I didn't take anything but REGULAR strength tylenol when i was nursing.  Or I'd drink sore throat teas with honey and ginger.  But I never got REALLY sick while nursing.  Any how, I have a book on medications and mothers milk  (Medication and Mothers Milk 10tth Ed. 2002 By.  Thomas W. Hale Ph. D.) .
When I look up advil its only straight advil no cold and sinus.  If you could tell me the other ingredients I will look them up . But what is says about the advil is that at regular dosage only trace amounts are found in the breastmilk , and that even larger dosages of advil still only show trace amounts in breastmilk. 
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 5, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Kellymom.com has a list of cold remedies you can use.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN