Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Acid reflux??

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:08 AM
  • 8 Replies
Did anyone have a baby with acid reflux... If so what are some symptoms that you guys noticed something was wrong ???
by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 3, 2013 at 2:47 AM
Mine didn't have reflux. They had to deal with my overactive letdown and oversupply.

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/reflux/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:34 AM
Weight loss was the only real disconcerting symptom.

Both my children spit up. My son wasn't a happy spitter. He'd scream. He'd cover us head to toe in spit up after two oz. He arched his back and was happier sitting up. He was losing weight.

My daughter spits up lots. But she isn't bothered. She's gaining weight. Her issue is purely laundry.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:07 AM
2 moms liked this
Reflux is way overdiagnosed. In breastfed babies, forceful letdown and oversupply are usually the culprit, the symptoms mimic eachother. This has all you need to know about forceful letdown/oversupply, from symptoms to how to deal with it. :)
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM
We had reflux that was being caused by physical issues but our symptoms
-low weight gain -excessive crying (2+hrs consistent crying) -rigid body -wet cough with several swallowings after -couldn't tolerate her carseat recline or laying flat on her back.
We used a hazelwood necklace, keeping her upright as much as possible(baby wear alot), no laying down for at least 30min after a feeding.
Ours was caused by a lip tie combined with oal and she was just swallowing to much air.
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this

We dealt with tongue tie, overactive letdown, oversupply, dairy/soy/egg allergies AND GERD.  It took a while to get it all sorted out as the symptoms for each of those are very similar.  My best advice is to tackle overactive letdown/oversupply first to rule that out, then move on to dairy/soy sensitivity, and then if your child still has symptoms look at GERD as a possibility.  My boys have been medicated on and off since they were infants and they are currently both on prevacid at ages 5.5 and 3.  Meds have side effects and they can prevent absorption of calcium, so medicating isn't something that we take lightly.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM
THIS! This sounds like a perfect plan. :-)

Quoting K8wizzo:

We dealt with tongue tie, overactive letdown, oversupply, dairy/soy/egg allergies AND GERD.  It took a while to get it all sorted out as the symptoms for each of those are very similar.  My best advice is to tackle overactive letdown/oversupply first to rule that out, then move on to dairy/soy sensitivity, and then if your child still has symptoms look at GERD as a possibility.  My boys have been medicated on and off since they were infants and they are currently both on prevacid at ages 5.5 and 3.  Meds have side effects and they can prevent absorption of calcium, so medicating isn't something that we take lightly.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:27 AM
This.

Breastfed babies are often misdiagnosed with reflux, when OAL is really the culprit.

Op what are your babies symptoms?

Quoting aehanrahan:

Mine didn't have reflux. They had to deal with my overactive letdown and oversupply.

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/reflux/

confused632
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I have had 3 with reflux.  1 is still on meds at age 4 and the other 2 (ages 2 and 6 monts) are off the meds.  My 4 year old did "silent gagging" she never spit up.  You would look over and she would be choking.  She started belching at night when I would lay her down for bed.  One night I couldn't get her stopped.....ER diagnosed reflux.  Seen ENT and she actually had "Flappy Airways and GERD"  Everything in the throat was soft which let the stomach acid come up.  She made this rattly sound when breathing all the time.  After 1 dose of medicine I noticed a complete change in her breathing and no more choking.  She still to this day has eating disorder we are in therapy for but that is a whole nother story related to the soft throat.

Good luck.   I would definitely rule out letdown issues and dairy and go from there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN