Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

High Arched Palate

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:38 AM
  • 5 Replies
Has anyone had this cause latching problems ? I was reading online and someone described their baby making a clicking noise as if breaking suction when nursing and feeling as if baby was biting the nipple. Thats what my dd does. Their child had a high arched palate, best I can see, so does my dd. Pediatrician hasnt mentioned this as a problem but maybe it explains our bf trouble ???
by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
GodsAmiga
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM

My first has one and it definitely took us a little bit to get her to latch on correctly. I had to guide her and open her mouth nice and wide and hold my breast/nipple still. Many times I had to take her off and have her relatch. I also had inverted nipples so that also affected it. But you can definitely work through it! :-)

christababy
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:08 AM
Dd2 has it, but its never caused any problems for us. She's 3.5 and still nurses just fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:06 AM
Dd2 has one, and it hurt us for a bit, but as she grew, we got the hang of things!
KelleyLitty
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM
We had trouble with that and the suggestion I got from an ibclc was to point my nipple up into her palate when latching to try and fill that space.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Both of mine do, but it never caused any problems. I just for them to open wide and take in as much as possible, re-latched if it wasn't right. Check for lip and tongue ties, too. Kellymom.com has an article with pictures.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN