Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Do you think it's possible to normalize breastfeeding?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 35 Replies

I often wonder, after hearing stories of restaurants and other public places kicking out a mom for nursing, if we'll ever get to the point of normalizing breastfeeding?

Do you think it's possible? Does the fight to normalize breastfeeding every feel overwhelming to you?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amycrow0949
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM
I sure hope so. I never was told to cover up and im glad because i wouldnt have. Women need to learn there right. We can breastfeed anywere anytime. Bf mamas need to be proud and not hide it like its not a normal thing to bf there baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meg0620
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I hope so. I've never been told something rude for breastfeeding in public and hopefully no one ever will because they will be embarrassed.
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I hope so.  I hope my daughter and future children see it as natural and I feel like everytime I NIP I am showing anyone who cares to look that it's not obscene.  

Britania
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM
3 moms liked this
I hope so! Maybe by the time our kids have kids breastfeeding will be the norm and bottle feeding will be done as the exception. I think if Pediatricians pushed breastfeeding more, more moms would be successful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on May. 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM
4 moms liked this

Breastfeeding really seems to be on the rise, so I think with time it will become just a common thing. More and more women are choosing to breastfeed and follow through with it.

Honestly, I'm more interested in doctors/hospitals/clinics/etc updating their breastfeeding info and providing actual good and helpful advice. THAT'S the bigger issue in my corner of the world. If someone kicks me out of a diner for nursing my baby that's pathetic, but if a doctor talks me out of breastfeeding for no good reasons that's a real problem.

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I think so. Its normal in other countries. I just dont think it will happen  in our lifetime necessarily..but we have to help pave a better future for the people to come after us. Besides it once was totally normal and acceptable, so why not?

Personally I have had some really wonderful experiences nursing uncovered in public and cant think of a single bad time. Things are definitely changing. 

Analugojana
by Christine on May. 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM

To a certain extent, probably just like homosexuality. It is accepted as a common thing but I guess NIP will remain for a good while the "gay marriage" of breastfeeding. I'm such an optimist...a ray of sunshine!

--
'I made an agreement of peaceful coexistence with time; neither it pursues me, nor I run from it; one day we will find each other.' (Mario Lago)
Genloveslove
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I get frustrated with the fight sometimes. It is so worth the work though! The negative reactions almost always stem from ignorance or insecurity. If we could help educate people better, maybe it would help. But the insecurity goes so deep in women, its more work than we could do to repair. Not sure...Just know that I will never stop doing my part to normalized it!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I think we can, but its going to take ALOT, I think if facts were given to moms about the risks of formula feeding, moms were given more free BFing support, and we could reach the inner city, low income moms about BFing then we would see more BFing as normal

jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible. I think America is too far gone where breastfeeding is concerned. I think there are just some people that are never going to understand the benefits of BFing and they are going to drag down the rest.
  I know that there are current issues that are being debated that are also being dragged down by those opposed, and those issues are still in "hot water." BFing is no different. Yes, more employers might finally teach their employees the legalities involving BFing, but I don't think that will change the "normality" of it. I think women will still be afraid to try because it will always be "abnormal" in this country.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)