Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Latch Issues- Please Help!!

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi Ladies! I had my second baby on April 20. I immediately put her to the breast, and we have been semi-successful in getting her to latch. I am going to the next LLL meeting, however it won't be for a couple of weeks so I'm hoping someone on here will have some advice for me! I am using the football hold, and when I put her to the breast she will put the nipple in her mouth, suck anywhere from 2-5 times and then she will pull her head away. Sometimes I'm successful in getting her to latch on for about 2-3 minutes, but those times are few and far between. Either I can get her to latch, she sucks, and then pulls her head away or she just sits there and won't suck at all. Does anyone know of anything I can do to try and get her to latch? Like I said I'm going to the next LLL meeting, but I am looking for some advice in the meantime!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM

THe pattern you report is pretty normal. Don't give her another option to the breast. THe bottle is merely making all this harder.

Express a little milk before latching and leave it on the nipple. Expect her to come off and on ad nauseum ad infinitum.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM

She eventually latches and eats, right?  Or...what is she eating in the meantime?  The football hold is really easy to get a good latch because baby is essentially staring straight at your nipple and it's easy to manuver baby's head and your breast to get it in there.  When she comes off the breast, do you spray milk?

JKuney
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Yes she eventually latches, but she usually just sucks two or three times and then pulls off. Sometimes I'm successful in getting her to latch again and sometimes I'm not. She is eating breastmilk if she doesn't eat from me, or if I don't have any pumped then she eats formula. No when she comes off I don't spray milk, maybe get just a drop or two that comes off the breast.

Quoting jackiewal10:

She eventually latches and eats, right?  Or...what is she eating in the meantime?  The football hold is really easy to get a good latch because baby is essentially staring straight at your nipple and it's easy to manuver baby's head and your breast to get it in there.  When she comes off the breast, do you spray milk?

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

shortmama490
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Om having similar issues and going to my local WIC office tomorrow.
JKuney
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

If they give you any advice that helps would you mind letting me know???

Quoting shortmama490:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM
It could be that she is developing a preference for the bottle nipple. Also, was she ever checked for lip or tongue ties? You may also have an overactive letdown. Kellymom.com has information on all of these things with pictures.
shortmama490
by on May. 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Sure :-)

Quoting JKuney:

If they give you any advice that helps would you mind letting me know???

Quoting shortmama490:

trista4
by on May. 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I have a fast let down and my lo was not attaching right BC of it. And spitting up. I asked on here and a mom said put lo belly to belly and feed that way it will help and it did! Sometimes when ur really full as well its harder.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM

THe pattern you report is pretty normal. Don't give her another option to the breast. THe bottle is merely making all this harder.

Express a little milk before latching and leave it on the nipple. Expect her to come off and on ad nauseum ad infinitum.

JKuney
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I would think so too, except she's been doing this since she was born. I don't know what an overactive letdown is. How do I know if I have it? She hasn't been checked for lip or tongue ties yet. How old do they have to be for them to see if she has one?

Quoting MusherMaggie:

It could be that she is developing a preference for the bottle nipple. Also, was she ever checked for lip or tongue ties? You may also have an overactive letdown. Kellymom.com has information on all of these things with pictures.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

JKuney
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM

So this is somewhat normal? The only time that I was able to get her to successfully latch and eat was when I was fuller, so I thought maybe she was just frustrated if she couldn't get something right away which I know is getting worse because I use a bottle. I have been putting her on the breast more often, but when she pulls away more than once she gets upset and starts to scream. My MIL tells me it's just a battle of wills, and sometimes I'm able to last and sometimes I get upset and turn to the bottle. She lost a lot of weight after she was born because my milk took so long to come in and because we were cup feeding and she wasn't really swallowing from that. I didn't want to turn to the bottle, but I had no choice because she literally wasn't eating.

Quoting gdiamante:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN