Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

uneducated people:-(

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 15 Replies
7 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Well I saw this picture on Facebook and decided to share it. Picture is below. And this is the comment I get from a friend " why would you want to have your breast open in public either" so I simply respond " you're not having your breast exposed, just enough for baby to eat. Its natural. If more people would learn it , it wouldn't be such a big deal." I stood up for my baby and I and all the bf moms out there. she never responded so I am assuming shes upset. But I knew I did the right thing.
by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
funhappymom
by Marie on May. 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Ugh. Stuff like the top part of that pic make me mad. We don't know what modesty is anymore but it's not ok to feed your child. Geez, pleople!

kss12
by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM
It's sad isn't it?
But really who cares what negative things people say about bf.
Personally I have never bf in public because I never want to have someone come up to me and tell me it's not ok to do. I've always gone to the car or bathroom. BUT I applaud women who do bf in public AND will be a bf mom for as long as we can.. 14 months and going strong!! Yay for tata's :)
MIA0223
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Agreed!
It makes me upset! I am looked down on, seen as controlled, oprressed, uneducated because I dress modestly. Live and let live IMO.
I nip too.

Quoting funhappymom:

Ugh. Stuff like the top part of that pic make me mad. We don't know what modesty is anymore but it's not ok to feed your child. Geez, pleople!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Agreed.. thanks for sharing! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Yep!
I hope that the more we share things like this, the more others will see breastfeeding as normal.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Agreed.. thanks for sharing! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Ok - can I just say that breastfeeding is NATURAL and there's no reason to hide it? How is it that people are ok with public affection of ALL kinds but not breast feeding? Support the gays, support the different religions, but breastfeeding? HOW COULD YOU?!?!? It's SUCH a bad thing. How? It's feeding a baby. Some people are just ignorant.

Good for you sticking up for yourself! You should feel good. While I think it's every mother's right to choose where they breast feed, maybe pp wouldn't feel the way she does if more people learned that it's the normal thing to do.

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM
I'm really sorry you feel this way. I hope you can get over this worry with more people getting educated. It's not fair women have to be afraid of getting embarassed or yelled at. After I NIP for the first time, I told dh I was nervous because I didn't know if someone would say anything rude and he reassured me he would defend our right to nurse anywhere to any one. I live in Wisconsin but go to Illinois all the time, I've also been to Indiana and Ohio and NIP without an issue. We've been doing it for 1.5 months and I plan to do it until he weans! It's nobody's business and you should feel comfortable with whatever you choose. :) Good luck!
Quoting kss12:

It's sad isn't it?
But really who cares what negative things people say about bf.
Personally I have never bf in public because I never want to have someone come up to me and tell me it's not ok to do. I've always gone to the car or bathroom. BUT I applaud women who do bf in public AND will be a bf mom for as long as we can.. 14 months and going strong!! Yay for tata's :)

mrsbrand
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM
I always thought that was a really ridiculous double standard. As women in today's society in america we are damned if we do, damned if we don't. Women who dress provocatively are whores and women who dress modestly are prudes bitches or oppressed its rather disgusting IMO.

Quoting MIA0223:

Agreed!

It makes me upset! I am looked down on, seen as controlled, oprressed, uneducated because I dress modestly. Live and let live IMO.

I nip too.

Quoting funhappymom:

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM

This is a good post and so true. It has never been easy to be a pioneer, but we are the ones who make it easier for those to come.

There is a website in Virginia where you can print up these cards, 9 to a page, that you can cut and carry with you. If anyone says anything to you in public, all you have to do is smile and hand them a card. You don't have to say anything at all, or you could say something like, "Thank you for your concern."

I learned about this card at a La Leche League meeting. Perhaps other states have them. I even have a magnetic one on the refrigerator printed on a plastic-coated card that looks like a credit card.

The website for this card is:

http://www.latched-on.com/pdf/latched-on.pdf 

Breastfeeding:

The Law

“No person shall be deemed

to be in violation of indecent

exposure for breastfeeding a

child in any public place or

any place where others are

present”

Please contact the

Virginia Breastfeeding Task Force

with any concerns or comments

(positive or negative) at:

Virginia Breastfeeding Task Force

PO BOX 35379

Richmond, VA 23235

www.vabreastfeeding.org

MamaDee83
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Yes, don't you know that Victoria's Secret is ok, but breastfeeding babies are TABOO???? :-p

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)