Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Are you freaking kidding me?!? (OT)

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:04 AM
  • 43 Replies
I'm so livid! I took Cruz to the dentist yesterday and he has quite a bit of decay on his upper 4 front teeth. The dentists accused me of feeding him night-time bottles and too much juice and candy, even after they asked me beforehand if he ate candy, which NO, he absolutely does not! And if he was still on the bottle, which NO, he weaned himself from the bottle at 9 months and only ever had them during the day at the childcare center. Also I don't allow him to have juice, in fact the only 3 beverages he's ever had are: breastmilk, coconut milk, and water!

Anyhow the dentist gave me 2 options:

A.) Have the top 4 teeth extracted in the office while I hold him in the dental chair so he doesn''t have to be put under or

B.) Have the teeth extracted at a hospital under general anesthesia!!!

First of all, his decay is due to an Upper Lip Tie and perhaps an unfortunate bit of poor dental genetics, NOT lack of dental hygiene and secondly, are you (dentist) out of your FREAKING mind?!? Who extracts a 20 month olds teeth and expects them to go toothless until their adult teeth come in?!?

This was not a pediatric dentist, so I did get a referral to one, that I likely can't afford and on my referral papers, he wrote under remarks: Mom wants to keep teeth....Umm (pardon my french, but...) HELL YES, I want to keep his teeth, he's not even 2 years old!!! Grrrr!

I'm just so upset, my poor baby!
by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Sarah on May. 5, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Holy crap.  Are you getting the tie clipped? And yeah, I'd be furious.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 5, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Yes, I'm trying to get it clipped, but all the healthcare and dental "professionals" I've talked to just roll their eyes or look at me like an idiot whenever I mention his lip tie. I have to get a referral in order for my insurance to cover it (even partially) but nobody will give me the time of day. So frusterating!
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 5, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Oops, forgot to make that ^ a quote.

Quoting SadieJames:

Holy crap.  Are you getting the tie clipped? And yeah, I'd be furious.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 5, 2013 at 2:59 AM
Ugh! Johnathan's top front teeth are bad too. The dentist wanted to do a "baby" root canal and place caps on them. I refused because I don't want him going around with silver teeth until they fall out. (he already has 2 on his molars) I'm considering having them extracted, but he's 5 and much closer to his adult teeth coming in. I'm just not sure if it will affect his ability to nurse. :-\
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on May. 5, 2013 at 3:02 AM
I had my top teeth removed at two. Didn't have front teeth till i was like ten. Sucked so bad, i would never put Mt child through that. Good for you for standing up for yourself and your son. It's sad they think ooh he's just a baby he'll grow more teeth. Well until then it's not fun getting teased because you're nine years old without front teeth. Lol
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 5, 2013 at 3:08 AM
And that's another thing I don't want to be bothered with-his ability to nurse, especially being that I'm pregnant, if he can't nurse effectively, then surely my supply will dry up and he will wean, which neither of us are ready for.

I was just completely shocked that he couldn't offer anything other than extracting his teeth!

Quoting aehanrahan:

Ugh! Johnathan's top front teeth are bad too. The dentist wanted to do a "baby" root canal and place caps on them. I refused because I don't want him going around with silver teeth until they fall out. (he already has 2 on his molars) I'm considering having them extracted, but he's 5 and much closer to his adult teeth coming in. I'm just not sure if it will affect his ability to nurse. :-\

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 5, 2013 at 3:14 AM
Yeah and I imagine it would make it much harder to eat as well, I have had teeth extracted as an adult and it always makes eating more difficult. I'm definitely not putting my son through that, he's just a baby! I just hope the pediatric dentist will consider his lip tie, if not, at least give me some options other than extraction to salvage his teeth!

Quoting sleepymommy87:I had my top teeth removed at two. Didn't have front teeth till i was like ten. Sucked so bad, i would never put Mt child through that. Good for you for standing up for yourself and your son. It's sad they think ooh he's just a baby he'll grow more teeth. Well until then it's not fun getting teased because you're nine years old without front teeth. Lol
scurnes
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM
You can get caps put on with white fronts. I had to get this for my now two yr old last summer. They will fall out like normal and his teeth will all grow in properly with the right spacing. The first dentist and nurses at the hospital told me nurseing is what caused our problems but the dentist who did the procedure said he just had bad luck and no enamel on those teeth. My ds had the decay on the front of his teeth which is not caused by bottles. Bottles cause decay on the back of the teeth.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Seek a second opinion!
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, believe me, I am! I am calling the pediatric dentist tomorrow to make an appt. and he/she better be more educated and give me real options!

Quoting Precious333:

Seek a second opinion!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)