Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

WHEN BABIES ATTACK! Or, ways to stop biting

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 3:18 AM
  • 15 Replies
4 moms liked this

Three strikes. First bite, unlatch, tell baby it hurts, resume feeding.

Second bite, repeat.

Third bite...put baby down, walk away. Feeding is OVER for at least five minutes.

When baby learns that biting means he goes hungry, he stops biting.

A couple more things to make this work: Solids are to FOLLOW nursing, always. Hungry babies nurse. Bored, stuffed babies bite. Never give solids separately or before nursing. They are dessert.

And watch your baby like a hawk for the end of active swallowing and sucking. When that happens, unlatch. Be pre-emptive.

Babies have to be taught not to bite. Hunger is a marvelous teacher.

EDITED TO ADD: Please add your tips and tricks. Questions? Please put them in a separate post so they don't get missed.

And another addition: Sometimes it's more effective to pull them in close to the breast. It smooshes their nose closed and they let go in order to breathe.

by on May. 5, 2013 at 3:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
schultzal
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:54 AM
Thanks for this! My daughter is 6 months, has been showing signs of teething, and I'm sure I will be utilizing this advice soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM
That to also applies to other undesirable nursing habits like pinching, hair pulling or playing with the other boob.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Treating teething before nursing.

If baby tends to bite when falling asleep unlatch first.

Pay attention to.clues that a baby may bite before they do bite. Sometimes babies give a hit (my kids have sometimes.stop sucking, smiles and then bit)
PolishMamma2
by Marta on May. 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, my DS has a problem with smile bitting, so I try to keep him as far away from his big sister as possible while nursing otherwise he will nail me. And its not intentional his mouth changes shape when he smiles and then he will try to talk to her. Depending on his mood I might not be able to talk to him too much or he will start playing so I try to make boring nursing sessions,lol.

Quoting Precious333:

Treating teething before nursing.

If baby tends to bite when falling asleep unlatch first.

Pay attention to.clues that a baby may bite before they do bite. Sometimes babies give a hit (my kids have sometimes.stop sucking, smiles and then bit)

GoodyBrook
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:17 AM

My first became very distracted by the world when he was nursing...he'd lose his concentration and bite.  It was accidental, but it still hurt.

So I learned to nurse him in a darkened room.  No distrations = no biting.  :)

tbursac777
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:59 AM

ahhh, i deal with this now.. but he's still gummy.. for another few days, there is a tooth breaking through.. so i'll need these tricks. :(

MamaDee83
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I pretty much did what the OP said. DD usually only bit me when she was at the end of a feeding, but I would take her off, warn her, and then put her back on. Usually that's all it took, because I think she was so surprised and thought she had hurt me - she would cry! She almost never bites me now, so I guess it worked?

Millertime77
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Two times-my son tried to bite my nipple on two separate occasions, both times I just removed his latch and told him "NO!" and then he never did it again. Here we are 30 mos. later and he's still happily nursing away! Good luck mommas!

Barb87
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Tried this w DS. He just laughs. So when he bit my nipple again last night, I bit his. Not hard, but firm enough to get his attention. He looked at me life I'd lost my mind & poked his bottom lip out then liked down & back into my eyes. I then told him "you don't like it right? Don't Mama"

I'm probably going to get blasted for resorting to how my grandparents corrected biting, but in my defense it was my last resort. I tried unlatching with a firm NO then relatching, I tried smooshing his nose against my skin, tried putting him in his playpen/walker/leaving him w Daddy. DH doesn't get it, so he doesn't help matters any. DH is my main source of help, my SIL lives on the opposite side of town. So like I said, biting DS was my last resort.
Rosehawk
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I have learned that what I've done with my other two is not widely accepted, but it worked for me, and my SIL.

When my teething child bit me while nursing, I would yelp is pain/surprise, and flick their cheek, telling them not to bite. The flick was never hard enough to make them cry, but it DID get their attention and startle them. Each kid only bit me a couple of times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)