Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

There is nothing wrong with co sleeping!! Vent

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM
  • 95 Replies
2 moms liked this
So a friend of mine posted something on Facebook that her husband and newborn were hogging the bed and keeping her up snoring. I commented giving her my sympathy, because that is pretty much the story of my life.

Well some know it all fool, makes a comment an said "y'all better get those babies out of your bed before it ruins your marriage." Say what?

My friend went into defense mode and said that her baby hardly ever sleeps with them but she felt safer because of the storm.

Well then the fool kept on and added "I'm just saying y'all are going to look really funny with a 14 year old sleeping in the bed with you."

That when I chimed in that I would rather have my teen in the bed with my husband and I than in the bed with someone else!

Seriously maybe that is what is wrong with kids these days. Ugh.

Just for the record my DS only part time co sleeps. He usually sleeps in his crib (which is in our room) for the first half of the night and then is in our bed after he wakes up to nurse.

Having DS is not going to have a negative effect on my marriage.
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM
3 moms liked this
Yeah, my inlaws think the same way, but if you have a newborn waking up.every two hours at night, i thnk the lack.of sleep is even more harmful to the marriage,.and.our sanity! We have always bedshared from say one, and we all.sleep better that way, and bedsharing does not get in the way of our intimacy.
Zazayam
by Nicki on May. 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this

We do the family bed deal. Babies are in my bed until they're the ones ready to move to their own, and after that they're welcome back in as often as they want. I haven't had any problem with it at all, and I think we're a very close and perfectly functioning family. My older boys are mature and independent, my baby sleeps wrapped in love every night, hubby and I aren't at each other's throats from lack of sleep. I wouldn't change it for the world.

I've flat out lied to family about it, because I know a few of them don't get it and don't want to understand it. They'll throw the silliest examples out as proof why it's a bad idea. I agree it's not for everyone, but when it works, it works great.

jrmo4
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Ugh. I have co-slept with all four of my children. When they are newborns I feel more comfortable letting them sleep and have milk on tap rather than waking up in the middle of the night constantly and trying to lumber to a spot with my baby while half asleep and risk falling asleep in a chair with them. Once they are around 6 months or so and don't need round the clock feedings they go to their crib to sleep. My oldest is four and she has never slept in my bed past infancy. I don't get why people think that ALL co-sleepers let their kids rule their beds.
momalee40
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I am so blessed to have a family that have all co slept with their kids. We have a co sleeper and she does use it but ends up with us most of the time. My older kids were the same and they are normal, well adjusted young adults.
sarajordan2008
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
My first 2 that we co-slept with, made a very smooth easy adjustment into their own room around 15-18 months. I never had a screaming toddler at bedtime, they just went to bed laid down, and went to sleep...because they never had to cry it out, and I always met their needs...trust. our culture demands too much of our babies, they are babies!!! Godforbid if they need us!!!
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on May. 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM
6 moms liked this

....I've bed-shared with all of my kids.

I've got five of them.

Looks like it didn't ruin my marriage. 

ceckyl
by Kyla on May. 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM
5 moms liked this

Same here. How you sleep doesn't define your marriage.  What you do when you're awake does!  Luckily I married a man who loves our kids and loves cuddling them as much as I Ido. 

Quoting Zazayam:

We do the family bed deal. Babies are in my bed until they're the ones ready to move to their own, and after that they're welcome back in as often as they want. I haven't had any problem with it at all, and I think we're a very close and perfectly functioning family. My older boys are mature and independent, my baby sleeps wrapped in love every night, hubby and I aren't at each other's throats from lack of sleep. I wouldn't change it for the world.

I've flat out lied to family about it, because I know a few of them don't get it and don't want to understand it. They'll throw the silliest examples out as proof why it's a bad idea. I agree it's not for everyone, but when it works, it works great.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM
3 moms liked this
I thought it was wrong to allow babies and toddlers sleep in the bed when one of my sisters did it. Then I became a mom...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I think it CAN be if one parent doesn't want to bed share. Luckily we've both agreed to it and we get creative for other bed activity. ;)
gumeshoe
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Hubby says that he could not sleep last night. So he got up and played on his computer. He heard several times a soft cry then me going shh, slurp slurp slup then snores. In about the space of a minute.He was up a few hours and heard this happen 3 times.

I thought the baby just didn't eat all that much last night. :) I only remember 4am and 6 am. I would be crazy to bottle feed with this set up!

No sleep is far more harmful to my marriage than co sleeping.

Just like people saying If you hold baby too much they will never walk, crawl. I have held and carried and worn this baby a lot. I am constantly telling him not for Liam and closing doors to keep him from crawling into places at almost 7 months. He comes back for cuddles and then off again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)